From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: gdb will not "catch exception" or "catch exception unhandled"
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 20:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-10-07T20:54:43-07:00	[thread overview]

On Oct 7, 9:34 am, Simon Wright <si...@pushface.org> wrote:
> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
> > On Oct 6, 3:57 am, Simon Wright <si...@pushface.org> wrote:
> >> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:

> > My main gpr file has this:
> >   with "PLplot_Library";
> > and
> >   PLplot_Library.gpr
> > is this:
>
> >   library project PLplot_Library is
> >    for Externally_Built use "true";
> >    for Source_Dirs use ();
> >    for Library_Dir use "/usr/local/plplot/lib";
> >    for Library_Name use "plplotd";
> >    for Library_Kind use "dynamic";
> >   end PLplot_Library;
>
> > Is there something that I could do better here or am I stuck because I
> > need to link to libplplotd which references libgnat?
>
> Is there an option in the build GPR for PLplot to build it as a static
> library? (actually, plplot-5.9.8 doesn't include any *.gpr* files ...?)

You are correct--plplot is built by gnatmake, not gpr. That is done by
a complicated (many platforms, drivers, languages) build process based
on cmake which is a separate activity from my personal projects which
use PLplot (which I referred to earlier in this thread as "my main gpr
file"). The PLplot team (none Ada guys) figured out how to build GNAT
stuff amazingly quickly and they incorporated it into their build
process. As you can see, it generates a dynamic library. I don't know
what would be involved in getting it to build a static library.
However, I have considered changing the PLplot build to use GPR
because I think it would take care of a slightly awkward conditional
situation with respect to one of the binding source files related to
whether Real_Vector from G.3 is used or not. This would require some
work by other team members so I have let it slide for quite a while.

I was a little puzzled when the PLplot guys built the ada stuff as a
conventional library; wouldn't it be possible to instead bind/link to
the .o and .ali files? Or maybe this doesn't fit with their overall
build process. Or maybe they don't know about this option.

Back to the main idea--if the PLplot library were built as a static
library (or linked to the .o files), would the debugger work better?

Jerry