* Tasking and multiple execution units
@ 1993-02-23  4:37 mont!mizzou1.missouri.edu!C558172
From: mont!mizzou1.missouri.edu!C558172 @ 1993-02-23  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if tasking in Ada will/does take
advantage of any of the CPUs that have multiple integer or other units.
Is this even possible?
--Shannon

* Re: Tasking and multiple execution units
@ 1993-03-01 13:14 ` mjl-b
From: mjl-b @ 1993-03-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <16B7D13E39.C558172@mizzou1.missouri.edu> C558172@mizzou1.missouri.edu writes:
>Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if tasking in Ada will/does take
>advantage of any of the CPUs that have multiple integer or other units.
>Is this even possible?

It depends on what you mean... what has tasking got to do with multiple
integer units, for example? You can't run another task on the integer unit.

If the multiple execution units are hidden from the assembly language level
(as on the Motorola 88000 series) then the compiler doesn't have to worry
too much -- it just generates the code and the microprocessor handles the
rest.  The compiler might make an effort to emit instruction sequences whose
execution can be overlapped.

There are also Ada compilers around that emit code to make use of processor
features like vector registers, so that vector operations can be
parallelised.

I still don't understand the link with tasking -- what exactly do you mean?

>--Shannon

Mat

| Mathew Lodge             | "What's your name, boy?" "Kate." "Isn't that |
| mjl-b@minster.york.ac.uk |  a bit of a girl's name?" "It's short for... |
| University of York, UK   |  Bob." -- Blackadder II                      |