From: "Pat Rogers" <progers@NOclasswideSPAM.com>
Subject: Re: Abstract Data Types
Date: 1998/11/18
Date: 1998-11-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

robinsoj@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<72vm3n$ks$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I was reading about Ada's Abstract Data Types in Feldman and
Koffman's book
>and it reminded me of Object Oriented Programming.  Am I corrected
is
>assuming there are similarities between Abstract Data Types and
OOP?  If so,
>what are the similarities?

I tell people that an object in OOP is an "instance of an ADT plus
run-time polymorphism".  Said another way, an ADT exhibits
encapsulation, information hiding, and abstraction.  Ada 83 had this
covered well.  The new part (for Ada 95) from OOP is the ability of
objects to identify their implementations at run-time.

---
Pat Rogers                          Training & Development in:
http://www.classwide.com    Deadline Schedulability Analysis
progers@acm.org                 Software Fault Tolerance
(281)648-3165                       Real-Time/OO Languages