From: d96andgi@dtek.chalmers.se (Anders Gidenstam)
Subject: Re: Native rts not working on linux (glibc)
Date: 1998/11/16
Date: 1998-11-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <x7vaf1sr9ty.fsf@pogner.demon.co.uk>,
	Simon Wright <simon@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes:
>Tasking programs will run fine on Linux with GNAT. If they don't there
>is something wrong!
>
>One thing to be wary of, what glibc are you using? I ask because I
>have glibc1 (libc.so.5.4.44) & libpthread 0.71, and that gives
>horrible problems with X and Ada tasking; I think it does something to
>select(). I put some notes on this at
>http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/gnat-x-threads/ . If you do take this
>up, be warned that you will have trouble building X-based programs
>(specifically, Emacs!)

I use glibc 2.0.7-19 and the gnat rpm. (It's a Redhat 5.1 system)
And for the X stuff I use the adabindx bindings and they work for
programs compiled with the fsu rts (but other tasks than the one controlling the GUI
does only run when the GUI is 'activated' and if I have another task that can block
on some external call too (ex listening on a socket) things go horribly wrong...)
Programs compiled with the native rts works when run as root.
(X-based programs does not work though, but since I've compiled the X bindings with the
fsu rts this might be the source of some of the problems.)

/Anders
"A well-written program is its own heaven;
 a poorly-written program is its own hell."
  - The Tao of Programming