* GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-19 19:49 Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2009-03-19 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Does anyone know roughly when GNAT GPL 2009 might be coming out and
wether the GPL SPARK Examiner is going to be part of it ?

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-19 23:01 ` roderick.chapman
From: roderick.chapman @ 2009-03-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 19, 7:49 pm, Martyn Pike <emco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know roughly when GNAT GPL 2009 might be coming out and
> wether the GPL SPARK Examiner is going to be part of it ?

Our plans in this area will be announced at AdaUK
on Tuesday.
 - Rod Chapman, SPARK Team, Praxis

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-20  2:51 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-20  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adacores normally releases the next version of GNAT GPL sometime between
May 1st, and July, 1st.

As for the extras, the ony one that has been talked about is GPRBUILD
(multi-language) should replace the GPRMAKE.

@ 2009-03-20  6:44   ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2009-03-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

roderick.chapman@googlemail.com wrote:
> On Mar 19, 7:49 pm, Martyn Pike <emco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone know roughly when GNAT GPL 2009 might be coming out and
>> wether the GPL SPARK Examiner is going to be part of it ?
>
> Our plans in this area will be announced at AdaUK
> on Tuesday.
>  - Rod Chapman, SPARK Team, Praxis

Thanks Rod
I look forward to hearing about it

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-23  8:18   ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2009-03-23  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon wrote:

> Adacores normally releases the next version of GNAT GPL sometime between
> May 1st, and July, 1st.
>
> As for the extras, the ony one that has been talked about is GPRBUILD
> (multi-language) should replace the GPRMAKE.

But gprbuild is already in GPL 2008. Is it just a matter of which is the
default?

I guess then that the promising automatic C/C++ binding generator being
shown in the latest Ada Gems will not make it? That would be a loss for me.

@ 2009-03-23 10:07     ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The "gprbuild" has not been release in the GNAT-GPL 2008 source code or
linux binary packages.  What you will find is the obsolete program "gprmake"
in the 2008 release version. Even though Robert Duff stated on the 4th of
March, "gprmake is obsolete."

The "gprbuild" may be included in the 2008 version of the PRO series. Now
I'm not sure about you but I am not going to pay $15K just to get gprbuild.

Actually if you build a Project file using Ada and C files you
can use:
gprmake  => to compile the C code and then use
gnatmake => to compile the Ada code and build the libraries or programs.

@ 2009-03-23 10:28       ` ficorax
From: ficorax @ 2009-03-23 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 23, 11:07 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> The "gprbuild" has not been release in the GNAT-GPL 2008 source code or
> linux binary packages.  What you will find is the obsolete program "gprmake"
> in the 2008 release version. Even though Robert Duff stated on the 4th of
> March, "gprmake is obsolete."
what about this:

GPRBUILD GPL 1.2.0w (20080521)
Copyright (C) 2004-2008, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Usage: gprbuild [-P<proj>] [<proj>.gpr] [opts] [name]
    {[-cargs opts] [-cargs:lang opts] [-largs opts] [-gargs opts]}

  name is zero or more file names

gprbuild switches:

regards

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-23 21:11         ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-23 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

download gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz from Adacore "Linux x86 2008"

tar xvf gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz
cd gnat-gpl-2008-src
find . -name gpr* >1
cat 1
./src/ada/gprlib-build_shared_lib.adb
./src/ada/gprmake.adb
./src/ada/gprlib-build_shared_lib-vms.adb
./src/ada/gprlib.adb
./src/ada/gprep.adb
./src/ada/gprep.ads
./src/ada/gprexch.adb
./src/ada/gprexch.ads
./src/ada/gprbind.adb
./src/ada/gprlib-build_shared_lib-nosymbols.adb

in the gnat gpl source there is only GPRMAKE
GPRBUILD source files are not present.

Which is what I stated!

In <cc1ca04a-524f-45cb-ba60-b1e99ca3f2c6@h28g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, "ficorax@gmail.com" <ficorax@gmail.com> writes:
>On Mar 23, 11:07=A0am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>> The "gprbuild" has not been release in the GNAT-GPL 2008 source code or
>> linux binary packages. =A0What you will find is the obsolete program "gpr=
>make"
>> in the 2008 release version. Even though Robert Duff stated on the 4th of
>> March, "gprmake is obsolete."
>what about this:
>
>GPRBUILD GPL 1.2.0w (20080521)
>Copyright (C) 2004-2008, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>Usage: gprbuild [-P<proj>] [<proj>.gpr] [opts] [name]
>    {[-cargs opts] [-cargs:lang opts] [-largs opts] [-gargs opts]}
>
>  name is zero or more file names
>
>gprbuild switches:
>
>regards

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-23 21:25           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2009-03-23 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon wrote:
> download gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz from Adacore "Linux x86 2008"

download  gprbuild-gpl-1.2.0-src.tgz, too, from the same AdaCore
libre site, if you need the sources (it's in the sources folder
on the page).

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-24  6:42             ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-24  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was talking about the files in gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz which contains
GPRMAKE.

Since Robert Duff states that GPRMAKE is obsolete then why is GPRMAKE
still there?

So, I stated they would probability replace it with GPRBUILD in 2009 version.
removing the outdated GPRMAKE. Of course, they could just remove GPRMAKE,
but what would be the fun in that.

Plus, most people only download what they need when they need it. Not every
thing all at once or every time Adacore or GCC updates the packages.
Aka: If it works do not waste time in trying to fix it!

In <49c7fe4e$0$31863$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>, Georg Bauhaus <rm.tsoh.plus-bug.bauhaus@maps.futureapps.de> writes:
>anon wrote:
>> download gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz from Adacore "Linux x86 2008"
>
>download  gprbuild-gpl-1.2.0-src.tgz, too, from the same AdaCore
>libre site, if you need the sources (it's in the sources folder
>on the page).

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-24  7:28               ` ficorax
From: ficorax @ 2009-03-24  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 24 etc. Anon wrote:

> I was talking about the files in gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz which contains
> GPRMAKE.
> (...)
> Plus, most people only download what they need when they need it. Not every
> thing all at once or every time Adacore or GCC updates the packages.

cd gnat-gpl-2008-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin (this is unpacked base
download for GNAT 2008 compiler)
find . -name gpr* >1
./share/gprconfig
./share/examples/gprbuild
                 --------
./share/examples/gps/language/gprcustom.c
./share/examples/gps/language/gpr_custom.ads
./share/examples/gps/language/gpr_custom.adb
./share/doc/gprbuild
            --------
./share/doc/gprbuild/html/gprbuild_ug.html
./share/doc/gprbuild/html/gprbuild.css
./share/doc/gprbuild/info/gprbuild_ug.info
./share/doc/gprbuild/txt/gprbuild_ug.txt
./share/doc/gprbuild/pdf/gprbuild_ug.pdf
./share/gps/plug-ins/gprbuild_gps.xml
./share/gps/plug-ins/gpr.xml
./share/gpr
./bin/gprbuild_debug
./bin/gprmake
./bin/gprclean_debug
./bin/gprclean
./bin/gprof
./bin/gprconfig
./bin/gprconfig_debug
./bin/gprbuild
      --------
./libexec/gprbuild
./libexec/gprbuild/gprbind
./libexec/gprbuild/gprlib

You must decide about you write
Marek

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-24  9:12               ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-03-24  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Mar, 06:42, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> I was talking about the files in gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz which contains
> GPRMAKE.
>
> Since Robert Duff states that GPRMAKE is obsolete then why is GPRMAKE
> still there?

Backwards compatibility...same as Annex J. Can you image the hassle
and bad-will you'd generate with your customers by just 'pulling' a
tool?

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-25  0:37                 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-25  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Might be true, but Java shows the oposite. In JAVA each newer release you
will find some functions either altered or replaced.  People do get upset but
would they switch, not on their life.  And that saying is more truer for the
Ada programmer then all Java people combine.

In <ec8fcd56-9506-40f5-b077-585557cc3a48@b16g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Martin <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> writes:
>On 24 Mar, 06:42, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>> I was talking about the files in gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz which contains
>> GPRMAKE.
>>
>> Since Robert Duff states that GPRMAKE is obsolete then why is GPRMAKE
>> still there?
>
>Backwards compatibility...same as Annex J. Can you image the hassle
>and bad-will you'd generate with your customers by just 'pulling' a
>tool?
>
>Cheers
>-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-25  7:53                   ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-03-25  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 12:37 am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
> Might be true, but Java shows the oposite. In JAVA each newer release you
> will find some functions either altered or replaced.  People do get upset but
> would they switch, not on their life.  And that saying is more truer for the
> Ada programmer then all Java people combine.

Java isn't intended for long living projects. But who is to say that
it won't go in a release or two? Perhaps AdaCore have given 'fair
warning' to their paying customers?

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-25 19:32                     ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-03-25 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Most of JAVA projects are still running.  Some of these were Ada 95 that was
switch to Java 1.1. And the still work today, just can not compile them
without a complete rewrite.

Also, check with SUN!  Back in the 1990's with the introduction of JAVA 1.1
they said the concept of deprecating functions was a design mistake, but it
too late now to alter the course of JAVA.

In <6fed8e4c-8e90-4c4e-9424-f763afd8335e@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>, Martin <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> writes:
>On Mar 25, 12:37=A0am, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>> Might be true, but Java shows the oposite. In JAVA each newer release you
>> will find some functions either altered or replaced. =A0People do get ups=
>et but
>> would they switch, not on their life. =A0And that saying is more truer fo=
>r the
>> Ada programmer then all Java people combine.
>
>Java isn't intended for long living projects. But who is to say that
>it won't go in a release or two? Perhaps AdaCore have given 'fair
>warning' to their paying customers?
>
>Cheers
>-- Martin

* Re: GNAT GPL 2009
@ 2009-03-25 21:32                 ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2009-03-25 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 24, 9:12 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> On 24 Mar, 06:42, a...@anon.org (anon) wrote:
>
> > I was talking about the files in gnat-gpl-2008-src.tgz which contains
> > GPRMAKE.
>
> > Since Robert Duff states that GPRMAKE is obsolete then why is GPRMAKE
> > still there?
>
> Backwards compatibility...same as Annex J. Can you image the hassle
> and bad-will you'd generate with your customers by just 'pulling' a
> tool?

If you build gcc-4.3 you won't find gprmake. It's a simple matter to
get it to build (edit a Maiefile.in, ISTR). However, gprbuild is easy
enough to get (works just fine on Mac OS X, BTW).