* ANN: GCC 5.1.0 for Mac OS X
@ 2015-04-30 11:22 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-04-30 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

See
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GCC%20Mac%20OS%20X/5.1.0/

From the README,

This is GCC 5.1.0 built for Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5, Darwin
13.4.0), with the Command Line Tools for Xcode 6.2. It also runs on
Yosemite.

Compilers included: Ada, C, C++, Objective C, Objective C++, Fortran.

Tools included:

Full GPL:
  ASIS, AUnit, GDB, GNATColl, and GPRbuild from GNAT GPL 2014.

GPL with Runtime Library Exception[1]:
  XMLAda from the public SVN repository[2] at revision 238235
    (XMLAda-SVN for short).

The gory details at http://forward-in-code.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/building-gcc-510.html

* Re: ANN: GCC 5.1.0 for Mac OS X
@ 2015-04-30 12:23 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-04-30 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is GCC 5.1.0

One user-visible change I've noted, in GNAT.Sockets, is that
Vector_Element.Length (used in Vector_Type, used in Receive_Vector and
Send_Vector) is now of type Interfaces.C.size_t; used to be
Ada.Streams.Stream_Element_Count. I guess this is for efficiency in
scatter-gather operations.

* Re: ANN: GCC 5.1.0 for Mac OS X
@ 2015-04-30 12:42 ` Stone Immerling
From: Stone Immerling @ 2015-04-30 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fantastic with a capital F! I wish somebody would do this for Solaris 10
SPARC.

Stone

@ 2015-05-29  9:32 ` vincent.diemunsch
From: vincent.diemunsch @ 2015-05-29  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Simon,

I heard that there use to be a port of the front end of GCC (hence including Ada) to work with LLVM as a backend : DragonEgg. Since Apple now uses LLVM for Clang, Swift and others, I was asking myself : would it be an improvement to have LLVM instead of GCC for this compiler ?

Kind regards,

Vincent

* Re: ANN: GCC 5.1.0 for Mac OS X
@ 2015-05-29 12:17   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-05-29 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

vincent.diemunsch@gmail.com writes:

> I heard that there use to be a port of the front end of GCC (hence
> including Ada) to work with LLVM as a backend : DragonEgg. Since Apple
> now uses LLVM for Clang, Swift and others, I was asking myself : would
> it be an improvement to have LLVM instead of GCC for this compiler ?

If you're prepared to stick with GCC 4.6!

http://dragonegg.llvm.org/#gettingrelease

* Re: ANN: GCC 5.1.0 for Mac OS X
@ 2015-06-01 12:01     ` Vincent
From: Vincent @ 2015-06-01 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you're prepared to stick with GCC 4.6!
>
> http://dragonegg.llvm.org/#gettingrelease

No for sure, I'am not. But why is it so ? I understand that GCC produces still faster code, so it has little insterest to switch to LLVM...

But I see two main reasons to use LLVM :
1. one could have a "portable" inline assembly, using LLVM instead of native assembly code.
2. one could have "portable" binaries, that would be recompiled on the target machine. This is great if you plan to sell a Library for instance. It is comparable to Java but much faster.

Regards,

Vincent