From: Gumpy <shepardc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Hello, and help with GNAT and Windows USB programming
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 14:18:27 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-02-09T14:18:27-08:00	[thread overview]

Thanks for your response. I think I replied directly to you instead of to the thread, so not sure where that went.

> if the card is using serial comm, then you want to by a usb-to-serial converter.
>
> It will act like a virtual com-port then
>
> Use it like this (the code spoke with an Arduaino)

> But i'm not sure you'd use serial comm though.

Thank  you for the code snippet. This is along the lines of where I was headed. I will study it in detail.

What reservations do you have about using Serial Comm?

The thermocouple device I'm using is an Omega UTC-USB: http://www.omega.com/pptst/UTC-USB.html

There is a command reference manual here: ftp://ftp.omega.com/public/DASGroup/products/UTC-USB/UTC_USB-Command_Reference.pdf

The serial communications setup is listed at the beginning of the manual. It's actually a very simple command set consisting of short strings terminated by <cr>. It seems GNAT.Serial_Communications should work well for this but maybe there's a better way?

> I have a velleman k8055
>
> <http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=be&lang=en&id=351346>
>
> which I interfaced with bundled dlls.
>
> No serial comm at all.
>
> It involved looping around the usb devices and finding the card, with
>
> id of manufacturer etc.
>

> I have it on a broken machine, but I might be able to dig it up tomorrow,
>
> if you think it will help

If you don't mind, that would be really good. The looping through USB devices is something I was considering if I couldn't find a better way to find and attach a specific device.

The software that came with the thermocouple interface does contain dll's that were installed for the supplied application. Again, I'm new to PC environment programming, so I don't fully understand the concept of dlls and whether these can be useful to what I'm trying to do. There's a lot for me to learn here. This is one of the reasons I chose this kiln control project. The control part is simple enough, but it requires me to learn some underlying PC concepts in order to get it all working.

craig