* Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-14  9:53 unmvax!uservx.plk.af.mil!zetocha
From: unmvax!uservx.plk.af.mil!zetocha @ 1992-12-14  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I am in the process of developing parallelized neural network
algorithms using Ada.  I would like to do some testing on a Massively
Parallel Supercomputer, but I'm having trouble locating an MP computer
which has a parallel Ada compiler.   Does anyone know where I might  find
such a beast to buy time off of?

Paul Zetocha
Phillips Lab
PL/VTES
Kirtland AFB, NM, 87117
zetocha@plk.af.mil

* Re: Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-15 15:31 enterpoop.mit.edu!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!usc!news.cerf.net!nic.cerf.net!
From: enterpoop.mit.edu!spool.mu.edu!sdd.hp.com!usc!news.cerf.net!nic.cerf.net! @ 1992-12-15 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Dec14.095348.36617@uservx.plk.af.mil> zetocha@uservx.plk.af.mil
 writes:
%   I am in the process of developing parallelized neural network
%algorithms using Ada.  I would like to do some testing on a Massively
%Parallel Supercomputer, but I'm having trouble locating an MP computer
%which has a parallel Ada compiler.   Does anyone know where I might  find
%such a beast to buy time off of?

Boy I'm sure everyone would like to know of such exists. You did not say
whether you want MIMD or SIMD. My understanding is that it would be very
difficult to build a validated Ada compiler for an SIMD computer
(how to handle exceptions in a parallel for is given as an example).
Also would you want to use parallel tasking?

Let us all know what you find.

Matthew Jones
jonesm@cerf.net

* Re: Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-15 16:04 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1992-12-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I remember reading that Alsys was developing an Ada compiler for the
Transputer processor, and that there are a fair number of multiprocessing
transputers around (check out the guys at the Naval Postgraduate School
in Monterey, they seem to have an ongoing Transputer research effort,
though I think they use Occam.).

    Also, I remember seeing a few SBIRs along these lines of parallel Ada.
But no one keeps go track of that stuff, so it will require some searching
around.

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization
Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimiztion
P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-16 19:55 enterpoop.mit.edu!eru.mt.luth.se!lunic!sunic!mcsun!uknet!yorkohm!minster!
From: enterpoop.mit.edu!eru.mt.luth.se!lunic!sunic!mcsun!uknet!yorkohm!minster! @ 1992-12-16 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <SRCTRAN.92Dec15110419@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

>    I remember reading that Alsys was developing an Ada compiler for the
>Transputer processor, and that there are a fair number of multiprocessing
>transputers around (check out the guys at the Naval Postgraduate School
>in Monterey, they seem to have an ongoing Transputer research effort,
>though I think they use Occam.).

Alsys Ada for the Transputer was launched in September 1989. There's also
AdaMap, a tool for creating distributed Ada applications, launched for the
Transputer at the end of 1991.

>Greg Aharonian
>Source Translation & Optimization

Mat

| Mathew Lodge                      | "I don't care how many times they go    |
| mjl-b@minster.york.ac.uk          |  up-tiddly-up-up. They're still gits."  |
| Langwith College, Uni of York, UK |  -- Blackadder Goes Forth               |

* Re: Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-17 21:14 Thomas N Erickson
From: Thomas N Erickson @ 1992-12-17 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 14:52:04
From: Didier De Bie <debie@alsys.fr>
To: srctran@world.std.com
Cc: tne@world.std.com
Subject: comp.lang.ada

Dear Mr Aharonian,

Subject: More on parallel

>    I remember reading that Alsys was developing an Ada compiler for the
>Transputer processor.

Yes, Alsys has a product that allows development of Ada applications for a
network of Transputers (T4 or T800). It includes a standard Alsys Ada
Environment (AdaWorld) for the Transputer, AdaProbe - our source level
debugger and source browser, and other host tools such AdaReformat and
AdaXref.

To address the specificities of application developments for parallel
computers, and in particular the Transputer, we have developed the AdaMap
product that allows to map an Ada application on a network of transputers,
assigning one or several tasks to each processor. The system break-down is
described to AdaMap in a simple and well designed language.

If you are interrested to know more, please contact

    Scott Dorman
    Alsys
    67, South Bedford street
    Burlington, MA 01803-5152
    Tel: (617) 270 0030

Didier De Bie
Alsys
Deputy Vice President - International Marketing

--
Tom Erickson
Alsys

* Re: Ada on massively parallel supercomputer
@ 1992-12-21  4:04 agate!spool.mu.edu!yale.edu!ira.uka.de!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!eff!world!src
From: agate!spool.mu.edu!yale.edu!ira.uka.de!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!eff!world!src @ 1992-12-21  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Besides Alsys' Ada transputer stuff, Sky Computer (Chelmsford, MA) has
array processor add-in boards based on the Intel i860 for which they have
(or will be releasing) Ada compilers.

Greg Aharonian