From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: newbie problem - how to
Date: 1998/11/08
Date: 1998-11-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article
<AB859D6EEAE610D8.6A8A3E47A1B005EF.69A72E48756C3246@library
-proxy.airnews.net>,

DETECTED==============================+
> | Error detected at buftask.adb:23:28
|
> | Please submit bug report by email to report@gnat.com
|
> | Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track
the bug             |
> | Include full sources in ASCII in a format compatible
with gnatchop       |
> | First line of sources must be marked by an Ada --
comment line           |
> | Last line of sources must be last line of email message
(no signature!)  |
> | See gnatinfo.txt file for more info on procedure for
submitting bugs     |
> | 3.10p (970814) (powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.4.0) Gigi abort,
Code=999             |

+==========================================================
================+
> compilation abandoned
> gnatmake: "buftask.adb" compilation error
>
> I was about to send in a bug report, and then saw in the
archives of this
> newsgroup that it wouldn't do any good (other people's
opinions, not mine).

  If by "wouldn't do any good", you mean that you will
  not get immediate help from us, that is correct, Ada
  Core Technologies can only provide this service for
  supported customers. So it won't do *you* any *immediate*
  good.

  However, we do look at all bug reports, and all such
  errors get fixed in future versions (if they are not
  fixed already). So sending in bug reports most certainly
  does do good for the *gnat user community* in the *long
  run*, so there is definitely something to be gained by
  taking the effort to send in a bug report.

  We have got lots of such bug reports in the past from
  unsupported users, and almost all have been fixed at
  this stage.

  Please note that if you do send in a bug report, it
  must have the *full* sources, and follow the directions
  in the bug box.

> Does this truly mean that something is wrong with GNAT,
or does it mean that
> I've keyed something in wrong?  The section of code looks
like this, with

  It certainly means something is wrong with the version of
  GNAT you are using, it may well also mean that you keyed
  in something wrong because it is sometimes the case that
  incorrect code can trigger a bug, so it is reasonable to
  look at the source at that point. You gave only part of
  your full sources from which it is hard to say anything
  anyway.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies