From: jim@hotmail.com.nospam
Subject: Re: ada calling into C library?
Date: 1998/10/30
Date: 1998-10-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3639E39E.EFA4B968@aston.ac.uk>, Danny says...

>I've a project on a unix system V platform using gnat compilers...
>
>What I would like to do is have a C / C++ library communicating with a
>database and ada programs making calls into that library to get data.
>Ideally I would like the library to return objects ala COM but this may
>be unrealistic so I would be happy enough to return structures /
>records.  Does anyone know how possible this is and if is likely to be
>worth the effort.  Its not an option to use C throughout the project but
>Ada could be used to communicate with the database.  The reason for
>using C is so I can use the Rogue Wave DBTools classes to deal with the
>database.

I found the easiest and fastest and best way to do this sort of thing is
to use Java. Plain and simple.

I can write any kind of database application using the Java SQL pacakge
and the any JDBC driver for the specicif database in question that will
run on any platform, in 2-3 days most. why do people want to deal with
anything else, is beyond me.

The first time I did this, it was so easy I could not beleive it. it took
me 2 days to write a complete database import export of tables using nothing
but pure Java.

why deal with C/C++ and figure how to call Ada from all of that, and COM
and that, keep it simple. trust me. look it up and you'll see for yourself.

Jim.