From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Linux distributions and Ada
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 06:51:16 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-02-05T06:51:16-08:00	[thread overview]

Tomek Walkuski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Gentoo since 2004 and it has IMO marvelous Ada
> support, but I need something more "enterprise class" distribution, in
> which I have many things out of the box (I don't have time to tinker
> all the time, despite Gentoo is for lazy people after a few-days
> installation :) ).
>
> Which distribution has good support for Ada? Or maybe step further...
> another OS (not Linux: BSD? (Open)Solaris?)?
>
> I think to give a try to Fedora (there will be F9 in April, and that
> brings CentOS 6).

If you want an "enterprise" distribution, rule out all "community"
distributions; go for Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SuSE Linux
Enterprise or Solaris (not "Open" or "Express"), plus a supported
version of GNAT Pro, and make sure you pay the subscription services
for all.

If you want a "quasi-enterprise" distribution:

Debian stable. Install once per machine then forget about it. 18-month
(approximately) release cycle; in-place upgrades when you choose (i.e.
no reinstallation from scratch, no forced upgrades). Prebuilt binary
packages for 12 architectures (i.e. you never need to recompile). All
Ada libraries adhere to a common Debian Policy for Ada [1]: compiled
with the same compiler so you can use all of them in the same program;
all come with a standard GNAT project file; all come in shared and
static versions. GNAT library under GMGPL so you can make proprietary
programs with it (but most of the other libraries are pure GPL). Many
Ada packages. Clear and consistent roadmap for future development as
far as Ada is concerned. Independent consultants available for support
worldwide, but no central authority to turn to.

[1] http://www.ada-france.org/debian/debian-ada-policy.html

PS. The transition to GCC 4.3 I described earlier applies to the next
version of Debian; you can continue using 4.0 "Etch" (or 3.1 "Sarge"
for that matter) for as long as you like.

PPS. Of course I'm partial, don't be surprised :)

PPPS. I don't think this is off-topic at all :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.