* VAX Extended Character Set
@ 1991-05-08 14:18 Ray Diederich (301)-294-8400
From: Ray Diederich (301)-294-8400 @ 1991-05-08 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anyone out there who knows how to read text files containing
eight-bit characters using VAX Ada? I have used UNCHECKED_CONVERSION and
TEXT_IO to write eight-bit characters into text files, but attempts to read
any files with eight-bit characters causes a DATA_ERROR exception.

I've come across this problem several times over the past few years, and it
sure would be nice if I knew a solution.

Please send your responses to "diederich_r_%ncsd.dnet@gte.com"

Thanks in advance!

Ray Diederich
Member, Technical Staff II
GTE Government Systems Corporation
National Center Systems Organization
1700 Research Blvd.
Rockville, MD
(301)-294-8400
There have been no opinions expressed here.

* Re: VAX Extended Character Set
@ 1991-05-10 22:59 ` Bud Bach
From: Bud Bach @ 1991-05-10 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

diederich_r_%ncsd.dnet@GTE.COM (Ray Diederich (301)-294-8400) writes:

>Is there anyone out there who knows how to read text files containing
>eight-bit characters using VAX Ada? I have used UNCHECKED_CONVERSION and
>TEXT_IO to write eight-bit characters into text files, but attempts to read
>any files with eight-bit characters causes a DATA_ERROR exception.

Well, to do this within the language, you'd have to define a 8 bit
character type and use sequential_io on it.  I doubt that this is
the answer you wanted to hear though...  -- Bud

--
Bud Bach - Consultant				c/o Motorola
708 632-6611					Cellular Infrastructure Group