* Compile c2ada
@ 2009-02-27 22:00 georg
From: georg @ 2009-02-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I was trying to compile the program c2ada (http://
c2ada.wiki.sourceforge.net/). I have changed the path and file names of
the script "Makefile".

I started "make" with no parameters and got the following error message:

gcc -g -Wall -Wimplicit -Wretun-type -DDEBUG -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/
include/python2.6 -DPPATH=\"/usr/bin/c2ada/branches/portability:/usr/lib/
python2.6\" -c -o htype.o htype.c
htype.c: In function 'main':
htype.c:116: warning: unused variable 'p'
gcc htype.o -o htype
./hostinfo hostinfo.h
make: execvp: ./hostinfo: Permission denied
make: *** [hjostinfo] Error 127

The file "hostinfo" is stored in the directory /usr/bin/c2ada/branches/
portability.

What could the problem be and what can I do about it?

Best regards

Georg

* Re: Compile c2ada
@ 2009-02-28 17:10 ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2009-02-28 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 27, 10:00 pm, georg <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I was trying to compile the program c2ada (http://
> c2ada.wiki.sourceforge.net/). I have changed the path and file names of
> the script "Makefile".
>
> I started "make" with no parameters and got the following error message:
>
> gcc -g -Wall -Wimplicit -Wretun-type -DDEBUG -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/
> include/python2.6 -DPPATH=\"/usr/bin/c2ada/branches/portability:/usr/lib/
> python2.6\" -c -o htype.o htype.c
> htype.c: In function 'main':
> htype.c:116: warning: unused variable 'p'
> gcc htype.o -o htype
> ./hostinfo hostinfo.h
> make: execvp: ./hostinfo: Permission denied
> make: *** [hjostinfo] Error 127
>
> The file "hostinfo" is stored in the directory /usr/bin/c2ada/branches/
> portability.
>
> What could the problem be and what can I do about it?

Hmm, hostinfo is supposed to be executable -- here I get

$ svn proplist -v hostinfo
Properties on 'hostinfo':
  svn:executable : *

If yours isn't, then maybe your working copy is out of date? maybe
your svn doesn't understand the executable property?

Anyway, "chmod +x hostinfo" should do the trick.

BTW, building software in /usr/bin/c2ada is not standard practice!
more typical to build in ~/c2ada (& then install in /usr/bin if you
must ..)

* Re: Compile c2ada
@ 2009-02-28 19:37   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2009-02-28 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sjw

sjw a �crit :
> BTW, building software in /usr/bin/c2ada is not standard practice!

Right.

> more typical to build in ~/c2ada (& then install in /usr/bin if you
> must ..)

I usually build on my home directory indeed, inside ~/build/xxx or
~/dev/xxx. But I never install software inside /usr/bin to avoid any
conflicts with package coming with my distribution. One option is
/usr/local/{bin/lib} or /opt/{name_of_package}. I prefer the second as
it is easier to remove a soft... rm -f /opt/c2ada.

My 2 cents!

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|