From: Joseph Wisniewski <wisniew@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: Implementing Annex E (was: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!)
Date: 1998/10/23
Date: 1998-10-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Business is business. I desperately needed one of the ASIS annexes
that, as far as I know, no vendor implemented. At least no one knew
of any vendor who did. Rational, in essence told me that it would be
too difficult for the potential customer base, which Rational interpreted
as "Who has asked us for this." Answer: No one, you are the first.
Therefore there is no market. Now that determination of the "market
needs" can certainly be debated, the bottom line is the reason some of
the annexes don't get implemented is because someone has decided there
it isn't worth it.

Joe

dennison@telepath.com wrote:
: In article <70gdb4$bdb$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
:   dewar@gnat.com wrote:

: > It would be really nice to see the other Ada vendors implement all the
: > optional annexes. In particular, it would be really nice to see other
: > implementations of the distributed systems annex. I think this is a very
: > exciting feature of Ada 95 with tremendous potential, but the full potential
: > is not realized unless all Ada 95 compilers implement this feature. In
: > particular, the distribution annex offers a path for convenient integration
: > of Ada programs across multiple machines using different Ada compilers.

: Does it really offer that kind of interoprability? According to my reading of
: annex E it does not.

: But given that no-one else has implemented it yet, there does appear to be
: time to create a standard such that it will work across compilers. Is this a
: possiblity? If future vendors use GLADE as a base, it doesn't seem like it
: would be too tough to accomplish.

: --
: T.E.D.

: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

--
Joe Wisniewski
President, Commercial Software Solutions, Ltd.

Full Onsite/Offsite Software Engineering Consulting Services
Specializing in Embedded RealTime Applications and Training

4403 W. Chama Suite #101
Glendale, Arizona 85310

(Voice) 602-580-4008	888-229-7597
(Fax)   602-580-4010    888-568-8734
wisniew@primenet.com

Co-Author: Program Smarter, Not Harder.
           Get Mission-Critical Projects Right the First Time
           ISBN: 0-07-021232-5 McGraw-Hill