From: "Larry Elmore" <ljelmore@montana.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Ada and C++
Date: 1998/10/23
Date: 1998-10-23T09:03:01+00:00	[thread overview]

Corey Minyard wrote in message ...
>Geoff Bull <gbull@acenet.com.au> writes:
>
>> > Srinivasan, R (gitas@roanoke.infi.net) wrote:
>> >
>> > : Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
>> > : attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any
advise/directions
>> > : would be deeply appreciated.
>> >

>> Is there is a good reason the standard gnat binary distributions come
without
>> C++ built?
>> This makes it harder to introduce Ada by stealth!
>> It also means that someone who must have C++ but would LIKE Ada
>> might just give up on the latter rather than try make two versions of gcc
>> coexist.
>
>Just recompile GNAT following the instructions and add "c++" to the
>list of languages.  It works great.  You don't have to give up, you
>just have to do a little work.

It certainly would be easier, though, if there was also a C/C++/Ada binary
distributed. I'm actually a bit surprised it isn't, since C++ is so popular.
It would certainly make life easier for a lot of people. G++ has been broken
on the CS server at my school for over a year (so DEC's cxx is used, and g++
just sits there taking up space...), and I know there are other cases. _Why_
it hasn't simply been recompiled, I don't know. I've been meaning to
inquire, but it keeps slipping my mind...

Larry