From: krichey@nswc.navy.mil
Subject: SCSI disk problems - Don't know where to begin
Date: 1998/10/21
Date: 1998-10-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I am writing some data extraction code in Ada (Greenhills) in a VxWorks,
PowerPC, VME card cage system, with a SCSI disk.  VME-167 cards
Also there are some C tasks.

At some point (it varies, and doesn't happen every time) the best we can tell
our SCSI disk is waiting on an interrupt and hanging.  My Ada task is
just sitting there taking minutes for individual i/o statements to complete.

We have gotten the following statements on the screen
(all three at the same time)-
interrupt: ncr810: SCSI bus gross error
interrupt: ncr810Intr: unrecoverable error - re-starting-SIOP
(from one of our C tasks)
(tScsiTask): ncr810InitEvent: invalid event type (99)
---

We have checked stack sizes for blown stacks, no problems are indicated here.

When the error occurs (some times on init, some times several minutes into
recording) during a write we have seen a write error (number of bytes reported
written does not match those sent) and we have seen a time out.

One guess is something is 'jumping its bounds' and messing up memory where the
device driver resides- but what?  Any ideas?