From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Implementing Annex E (was: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!)
Date: 1998/10/20
Date: 1998-10-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <70gdb4$bdb$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> It would be really nice to see the other Ada vendors implement all the
> optional annexes. In particular, it would be really nice to see other
> implementations of the distributed systems annex. I think this is a very
> exciting feature of Ada 95 with tremendous potential, but the full potential
> is not realized unless all Ada 95 compilers implement this feature. In
> particular, the distribution annex offers a path for convenient integration
> of Ada programs across multiple machines using different Ada compilers.

Does it really offer that kind of interoprability? According to my reading of
annex E it does not.

But given that no-one else has implemented it yet, there does appear to be
time to create a standard such that it will work across compilers. Is this a
possiblity? If future vendors use GLADE as a base, it doesn't seem like it
would be too tough to accomplish.

--
T.E.D.