* New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05  4:56 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-05  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Carter has sent me a copy of his Mine Detector game using Gnoga. I've put it up as a demo at http://gnoga.com:8081

Enjoy!!

David Botton

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05  5:44 ` Leo Brewin
From: Leo Brewin @ 2014-12-05  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, December 5, 2014 3:56:55 PM UTC+11, David Botton wrote:
> Jeff Carter has sent me a copy of his Mine Detector game using Gnoga. I've put it up as a demo at http://gnoga.com:8081

Great game! Love it!

Cheers,
Leo

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 10:14 ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2014-12-05 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/05/2014 05:56 AM, David Botton wrote:
> Jeff Carter has sent me a copy of his Mine Detector game using Gnoga. I've put it up as a demo at http://gnoga.com:8081
>
> Enjoy!!

A very nice demo. :o)

--
Thomas Løcke | thomas@12boo.net | http://12boo.net

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 10:56 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-12-05 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

> Jeff Carter has sent me a copy of his Mine Detector game using
> Gnoga. I've put it up as a demo at http://gnoga.com:8081

Using Safari on a 13" Macbook Pro, the 'Rules' button pops up a modal
dialog box which runs off the bottom of the screen, has no scroll bar,
doesn't respond to the scroll wheel (-equivalent, using two-finger
drag), and has no visible way to dismiss it - time to quit Safari. At
least command-Q works.

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 11:40   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-05 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Using Safari on a 13" Macbook Pro, the 'Rules' button pops up a modal
> dialog box which runs off the bottom of the screen, has no scroll bar,
> doesn't respond to the scroll wheel (-equivalent, using two-finger
> drag), and has no visible way to dismiss it - time to quit Safari. At
> least command-Q works.

He is using an alert box which means that is a Safari bug. Probably he could change that to a page based dialog instead.

David Botton

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 16:06     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-12-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

>> Using Safari on a 13" Macbook Pro, the 'Rules' button pops up a modal
>> dialog box which runs off the bottom of the screen, has no scroll bar,
>> doesn't respond to the scroll wheel (-equivalent, using two-finger
>> drag), and has no visible way to dismiss it - time to quit Safari. At
>> least command-Q works.
>
> He is using an alert box which means that is a Safari bug. Probably he
> could change that to a page based dialog instead.

Making it wider would help, too.

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 16:13       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-12-05 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>
>>> Using Safari on a 13" Macbook Pro, the 'Rules' button pops up a modal
>>> dialog box which runs off the bottom of the screen, has no scroll bar,
>>> doesn't respond to the scroll wheel (-equivalent, using two-finger
>>> drag), and has no visible way to dismiss it - time to quit Safari. At
>>> least command-Q works.
>>
>> He is using an alert box which means that is a Safari bug. Probably he
>> could change that to a page based dialog instead.
>
> Making it wider would help, too.

Iphone 5 Safari has the buttons over the grid.

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 17:36         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-05 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will be making some Mobile app examples soon.

Eventually will be able to have full iOS and Android side apps, but for now you can do a PhoneGAP front end to a Gnoga app on a server or just write to the mobile browsers.

David Botton

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 19:42   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-12-05 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-12-05 12:56 , Simon Wright wrote:
> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>
>> Jeff Carter has sent me a copy of his Mine Detector game using
>> Gnoga. I've put it up as a demo at http://gnoga.com:8081
>
> Using Safari on a 13" Macbook Pro, the 'Rules' button pops up a modal
> dialog box which runs off the bottom of the screen, has no scroll bar,
> doesn't respond to the scroll wheel (-equivalent, using two-finger
> drag), and has no visible way to dismiss it - time to quit Safari. At
> least command-Q works.

MacBook Air, FireFox: dialog was on top of game board until I made the
window wider.

Clicking on the game cells does not work -- no effect.

Clicking on "New Game" works; at least the marginal cells are redrawn
with new numbers.

But no game...

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-05 20:49     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-05 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Clicking on "New Game" works; at least the marginal cells are redrawn
> with new numbers.

Ok, it seems the game is working for everyone actually :)

Jeff's version of mine sweeper you can _only_ click on the white numbered tiles. See the rules.

Happened to me too first time :) I'm used to the old Windows version :)

David Botton

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-06 11:43       ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-12-06 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-12-05 22:49 , David Botton wrote:
>> Clicking on "New Game" works; at least the marginal cells are redrawn
>> with new numbers.
>
> Ok, it seems the game is working for everyone actually :)
>
> Jeff's version of mine sweeper you can _only_ click on
> the white numbered tiles. See the rules.

Ok, it works like that, yes. Apologies for missing that sentence in the
rules. This sentence should perhaps be moved to more prominent position
in the rules. But mea culpa.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-06 16:35         ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-12-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/06/2014 04:43 AM, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 14-12-05 22:49 , David Botton wrote:
>>
>> Jeff's version of mine sweeper you can _only_ click on
>> the white numbered tiles. See the rules.
>
> Ok, it works like that, yes. Apologies for missing that sentence in the rules.
> This sentence should perhaps be moved to more prominent position in the rules.
> But mea culpa.

This isn't Mine Sweeper, it's Mine Detector. It's objectives are to be
completely a logic game (no guessing required) and to model the reality of a
mine field better than Mine Sweeper. Unless you're dropping paratroopers in,
it's unrealistic to step in the middle of a mine field. You work your way in
from the edges, guided by the information you have from your sensor (the numbers
on cells). Stepping on unnumbered cells is guessing, which I've tried to eliminate.

--
Jeff Carter
"Now look, Col. Batguano, if that really is your name."

* Re: New Demo Game using Gnoga
@ 2014-12-07  3:51           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-07  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This isn't Mine Sweeper, it's Mine Detector. It's objectives are to be
> completely a logic game (no guessing required) and to model the reality of a
> mine field better than Mine Sweeper.

Awesome explanation thanks!

Thanks
David Bototn