From: mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle)
Subject: Re: Would someone help a struggling ADA student
Date: 1998/10/16
Date: 1998-10-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <wccr9w9usz7.fsf@world.std.com>,
Robert A Duff  <bobduff@world.std.com> wrote:
>mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) writes:
>> 2) We provide an interface that your move procedure must follow (board is
>> in parameter, move is out parameter).  We then cut and paste their
>> procedures into a tournament program.  If you raise an unhandled exception,
>> the tournament code catches it and you lose!
>But if everything's in the same address space, one can cheat.
>In-parameter, shmim-parameter.  ;-)  We all know how to evilly write
>upon 'in' parameters.  The question is, does that earn an 'A' for
>cleverness, or an 'F' for cheating?  ;-) ;-)

Gee, I never thought about that.  If someone from my 110 class actually
managed to manipulate the address space, I'd probably be dead from a heart
attack before I ever had to think about what grade to give them.

We do actually read their code though, so I imagine we'd give them an 'A'
sign them up for the major, and pull their program out of the tournament.

--Martin

--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html