From: brbarkstrom@gmail.com
Subject: Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 13:45:30 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-10-06T13:45:30-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, October 3, 2014 11:06:39 AM UTC-4, Phil wrote:
> Hello again,
>

> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
>
> get gtkada properly installed. On either windows or Ubuntu.
>
> I have run the program below on a Ubuntu 12.04 box, and get the message
>
> file "gtkada.ads" not found. error message and sample program below.
>

> I was never really confident the installation was done correctly. As the
>
> ubuntu software centre already has some components installed or my
>
> meddling, and I may have doubled up with a download from Adacore. Was it
>
> done in the correct order and with correct paths etc set.
>

> Any suggestion on what to check first?
>

> gnatmake -d -P/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001project.gpr
>
> gcc-4.6 -c -I- -gnatA /home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb
>
> test1001.adb:1:06: file "gtkada.ads" not found
>
> gnatmake: "/home/ada/ADAprojects/test1001.adb" compilation error
>

> [2014-10-03 18:20:40] process exited with status 4 (elapsed time: 00.10s)
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> with gtkada;
>

> --Test1001.adb
>
> procedure test1001 is
>

> begin
>
>    null;
>
> end;

You probably need to be careful about packages.  AdaCore's GNAT is different
from Debian's packages.  The treatment of configuration management has centralized control on the four usual Linux versions including Debian - Ubuntu;
AdaCore's GNAT follows a different model where the compilation units have
metadata.  The usual package managers do the metadata on the Linux distribution
packages, which almost certainly have coarser granularity than AdaCore.
There's the additional complexity of which release is being used by the
package maintainers.  It's a complex business.

Bruce B.