From: falis@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Falis)
Subject: Re: Keyboard input
Date: 25 Sep 90 14:11:21 GMT	[thread overview]

I've been reading this topic with some interest: it's not an easy one
to address, given the language definition. With our products, we've
taken several approaches to solving the problem, but they're not
portable in the sense of using the same source for different target
environments.

For our 68K and 386 Unix products, we use the form parameter to designate
whether terminal input should be on a per line or per character basis.
This is probably the most "Ada" solution. On our MS-DOS products, an
Ada interface to MS-DOS INT21 functions is provided, and the manuals
explain how to use this interface to do character by character input.
For our embedded application oriented products, the choice is made
in the board support packages, and the interface for the application
is through the standard I/O packages.  Unfortunately, for the two
IBM 370 OS's we have no solution at this time.  - Ed Falis, Alsys