From: ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond)
Subject: Re: validation stringency
Date: Tue, 12-Mar-85 13:01:14 EST	[thread overview]
Date: Tue Mar 12 13:01:14 1985

> I recently came across a limitation on how complicated a type
> declaration pcc will accept.

Yuk.  OK, I guess a portable C program can't nest type declarations more than
one level?

> I don't remember any similar
> nesting restrictions in the Ada standard.  Are Ada implementations
> required to allow unlimited nesting?  Does the validation suite
> make some sort of attempt to check this?
> -- Rich

I also believe that unlimited nesting ability is required.  But if the
compiler runs on a machine with a limited address space (either real or
virtual, it is limited), we can expect some limits.  If a limit is too
small, a reasonable validation suite would find out.  If a validation
suite tried a thorough test, we probably wouldn't live long enough to
see it hit a limit....
--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."