* Data transfer between codes on different machines
@ 1992-04-28 13:57 Sanjoy Mishra
From: Sanjoy Mishra @ 1992-04-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ada experts !!!

I have code running on two different machines. Is there any interface
which I can use structural data between these two machines. It is possible
that two machines have ADA compiler from two different vendors.

Thanx in advance for any help

-Sanjay
Sanjay K. Mishra                             Harris Controls and Composition
mishra@ccd.harris.com

@ 1992-04-28 13:58 Sanjoy Mishra
From: Sanjoy Mishra @ 1992-04-28 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1992-04-28 13:59 Sanjoy Mishra
From: Sanjoy Mishra @ 1992-04-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1992-04-28 14:03 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!mips!darwin.sura.net!mlb.sem
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!mips!darwin.sura.net!mlb.sem @ 1992-04-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Sender: mishra@controls (Sanjoy Mishra)
From: mishra@controls.ccd.harris.com (Sanjoy Mishra)
Subject: Data transfer between codes on different machines
Hi Ada experts !!!

I have code running on two different machines. Is there any interface
which I can use structural data between these two machines. It is possible
that two machines have ADA compiler from two different vendors.

Thanx in advance for any help

-Sanjay
Sanjay K. Mishra                             Harris Controls and Composition
mishra@ccd.harris.com

--
-Sanjay
Sanjay K. Mishra                             Harris Controls and Composition
mishra@ccd.harris.com

* Re: Data transfer between codes on different machines
@ 1992-04-29 12:41 mcsun!uknet!yorkohm!minster!mjl-b
From: mcsun!uknet!yorkohm!minster!mjl-b @ 1992-04-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Apr28.135715.1462@ccd.harris.com> mishra@controls.ccd.harris.co
m (Sanjoy Mishra) writes:
>I have code running on two different machines. Is there any interface
>which I can use structural data between these two machines. It is possible
>that two machines have ADA compiler from two different vendors.

Theoretically, you can use record representation clauses to specify the
exact data layout at bit-level. Theoretically because the compiler may still
add stuff to the record that it doesn't tell you about.

Different implementations may also have different ideas about bit numbering and
the like, but you can avoid that by checking appendix F of each compiler
manual.

>Thanx in advance for any help
>
>-Sanjay
>Sanjay K. Mishra                             Harris Controls and Composition
>mishra@ccd.harris.com

Mat

| Mathew Lodge              | "You twist and turn like a ... twisty turny    |
| mjl-b@minster.york.ac.uk  |  thing. You're a weedy pigeon, Blackadder, and |
| Summer: lodge%alsys@uknet |  you can call me Susan if it isn't so"         |

* Re: Data transfer between codes on different machines
@ 1992-04-29 22:27 Loren Hart
From: Loren Hart @ 1992-04-29 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: Theoretically, you can use record representation clauses to specify the
: exact data layout at bit-level. Theoretically because the compiler may still
: add stuff to the record that it doesn't tell you about.
:
: Different implementations may also have different ideas about bit numbering a
nd
: the like, but you can avoid that by checking appendix F of each compiler
: manual.
:

Actually, it can get much worse than that.  Different machines store
integers in different byte orders.  Additionally, floating point numbers are
notoriously non-portable.  The only way to guarentee that files are
portable is to make sure to use some consistent format for all data
types.  The easiest portable method is to store all data as ascii
strings, although there may be a severe performance cost to this
approach.
Mr Loren L. Hart                                       The Ada Ace Group, Inc
loren@netcom.com                                       P.O. Box 36195
				                       San Jose, CA  95158