From: Michael R <michael@zanyblue.com>
Subject: Re: ANN: ZanyBlue.Text, Localization Support for Ada
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 23:00:44 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-11-25T23:00:44-08:00	[thread overview]

On Nov 22, 2:19 am, Michael R <mich...@zanyblue.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This is the first release of the ZanyBlue Ada packages.  This release
> includes the Text package which support localization of Ada
> applications
> with Java style message formatting and .properties files.  The
> released
> files are available at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zanyblue/files/
>
> There are two downloadable files:
>
> 1) The core release files: zanyblue-0.1.0b-r1663.tar.gz
> 2) Support files for testing (AUnit) and regneration of the built-in
>    localizations (CLDR) zanyblue-0.1.0b-r1663-libs3rd.tar.gz
>
> The primary dev environment is Unix but has been tested on Windows.
>
> Take care,
> Michael.
>
> The readme is:
>
> The ZanyBlue.Text Package
> -------------------------
>
> ZanyBlue.Text is an Ada 2005 package supporting localization support
> in Ada
> by allowing the externalization of application messages into a
> properties
> file which can be localized into additional languages, similar to
> Java.
> The localized files include the locale string in the file name, e.g.,
> the
> file "zbmcompile.properties" is localized to
> "zbmcompile_fr.properties" in
> French.
>
> The locale string is
>
> * A language abbreviation (2 or 3 alpha-numeric characters), e.g.,
> "en" for
>   English, "zh" for Chinese, "cop" for Coptic, etc.
> * A script abbreviation (4 alpha-numeric characters), e.g., "Latn" for
> Latin,
>   "Hant" for Traditional Han, "Hebr" for Hebrew, etc.
> * A territory abbreviation (2 or 3 alpha-numeric characters), e.g.,
> "US" for
>   US, "CN" for China, "142" for Asia, etc.
>
> All components are optional, giving locale strings "" for the base
> locale,
> "en" for English, "zh_Hant" for Traditional Chinese, "zh_TW" for
> Chinese
> in Taiwan (also Traditional Chinese), and "zh_Hant_TW".
>
> The externalized .properties files are compiled to an Ada 2005 package
> containing the application strings (including localized strings) to be
> compiled into an application.  The selection of locale by
> ZanyBlue.Text
> is based on a locale argument which defaults to the locale string
> value
> of the environment variable "ZB_LANG", or, if it's not defined,
> "LANG".
> This allows applications to automatically switch the display language
> (provided the application was localized into the selected locale).
> E.g., the example application "moons" defaults to displaying English
> but can be changed to using German, French or Spanish, e.g.,  to
> display
> [...]

Hi Folks,

Noticed that the number of downloads for the libs3rd package exceeded
the download
for the actual ZanyBlue code: I've re-uploaded the code making it the
default download.
The libs3rd package contains the third party dependencies for ZanyBlue
needed only if
you want to change the set of built-in localizations via the
Unicode.org CLDR XML data
or you don't have AUnit.

The regression tests, via a "make check" in the src directory attempt
to first build
to the AUnit library in the src/libs3rd directory.  If AUnit is
already installed simply
run "make check" in the src/test directory rather than the src
directory (the build of
AUnit, via ZanyBlue, only works on Unix).

Take care,
Michael