From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: Embedded
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:35:30 GMT
Date: 2005-08-20T03:35:30+00:00	[thread overview]

Lanarcam wrote:

> The usual way is to select a microcontroller with the required
> I/O and based on the complexity some amount of RAM and ROM.
>
> You often choose a microcontroller from a family you are
> familiar with. You then select an OS or no OS, depending
> on the requirements.

That's the usual way, but that's not necessarily a good way. A better way is to
choose a suitable language, then choose the hardware to suit the language
choice. Since Ada's about the only thing around that was designed for embedded
systems, an unbiased selection of a suitable language will usually choose Ada.

However, even if you do it the other way around, there's at least one compiler
that produces ANSI C as its intermediate language, so you can always choose Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"Mr. President, we must not allow a mine-shaft gap!"