* Re: Would someone help a struggling ADA student
@ 1998-10-08  0:00 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-10-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevermind

dennison@telepath.com writes: > In article <6vii5f$2gn$1@news.campus.mci.net>,

@ 1998-10-18  0:00 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> writes: > On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > If indeed this is an algorithms or AI course (the only types of course for
> > which an assignment like this would be appropriate), then I see no reason to
> > force students to write in a particular language, since in that context,
> > language is secondary.
> >

> I am afraid I don't completly agree. Theoretically you are right, but in
> practice things get more complicated. You learn the niches of the
> language, and the special advantages (and disadvantages...) it has, only
> from really trying to solve problems on your own. I don't think exercises
> this complicated should be the norm, but one such exercise per course, is
> a "Good Thing"(tm).
>
> This is esp. so when you try to teach people a little SE along the way
> (see long thread on this right now). If students are only exposed to small
> and simple problems, they may learn the syntax, but not the design
> philosophy the language supports best.
>
> One more thing. We all assume that the teacher didn't give enough
> background in order to make the exercise managable. This assumption may be
> wrong...
>
> Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il

The teacher has indeed given us enough background to make the exercise
managable.  In each class he answers our questions and we now have all
written programs to satisfy his requirements for a grade; that requirement
being a program that will play battleship.  It is up to us to refine our
battleship games to win the tourney (and he still gives us hints with our
code). Our grade is based on the outcome of the tourney.  We will play
his program as well but only to see how we stand against a "pro".

From: Steve @ 1998-10-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-10-02  0:00 Steve
From: Steve @ 1998-10-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have to write an ADA program that plays Battleship.
I have written the basics and it will ramdomly select
"Hit" locations.  I now must develop a strategy and write
that code.  I would like for the program to be able to "learn"
as it goes.  Our programs will be run against other students in
the class and our grade will be based on our win-lose record.
Also, it will be run against the professor's which has never been
beaten.  Each program will play each other 20,000x.
I thought of setting up an array and assigning each grid in the 10x10
board a value then changing each value depending on the outcome of
each shot. Do you have any better suggestions?  How should I go about
getting the program to "learn" (other's stragedy) as it plays?
Steve