From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: introdution of Ada
Date: 1998/10/06
Date: 1998-10-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6vcd5s$d87$1@usenet41.supernews.com>,
  "alan walkington" <walky@netmagic.net> wrote:
> I have a serious problem with ANY of the highly praised Ada95 books I have
> seen.
> As an experienced Ada programmer, I want something that relates IMMEDIATELY
> to class wide programming, and tells me in OO  terms how to accomplish
> inheritance,
> dispatching, and initialization/destruction. I'm on a project where we are
> using the
> "REAL THING" and I could use some constructive help.
>
> English doesn't get to it till chapter 14, and Ada as a Second Language
> waits until page 500
> and something. Neither of the authors seem to approach the subject from a
> real OO perspective.
> How about a chapter on implementing some common 'Patterns' in Ada?
>
> I would like to see an Ada95 for C++ programmers approach ( or  Java or
> Smalltalk programmers,
> or any real OO language).

That definitely sounds useful.

P.S. I would stay away from using the term "real OO language". It is highly
provocative, and in particular, almost no one would apply this term to C++ :-)
OO is a design approach, for which it is useful to have language support. For
some people "real OO" means that this is the ONLY design approach that is
acceptable in the language. Whether this is a good idea, is an endless
discussion, whose utility causes a constraint error at the negative end of
any reasonable discrete type.

But the basic idea of an Ada book that started at this level, in particular
aimed at C++ programmers, is an interesting one. Actually it is surprising
this has not been done yet ???