From: "Pat Rogers" <progers@acm.org>
Subject: Re: subtype of value passed to pragma Interrupt_Priority
Date: 1998/10/01
Date: 1998-10-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Ecke wrote in message ...
>On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:05:57 -0500, Pat Rogers <progers@acm.org>
wrote:

>> Why isn't the subtype Interrupt_Priority the target for the
>> conversion for pragma Interrupt_Priority, instead of subtype
>> Any_Priority?
>
>The Rationale says in D.1.3 ``Base Priority Specification'':
>
>``The Interrupt_Priority pragma is also allowed to specify
priorities below
>interrupt level, so that it is possible to write reusable code
modules
>containing priority specifications, where the actual priority is a
parameter.''

I don't see how the parameterization makes any difference to the
question of why it should be allowed.

>   If the conversion were to Interrupt_Priority, you would not be
able to
>specify an interrupt priority less than Priority'Last + 1.

Exactly my puzzlement.  Why should we be able to specify a value
with pragma Interrupt_Priority that is not in subtype
Interrupt_Priority?  Why should that be allowed, parameter or not?

>Hope this helps.

Thanks for pointing out the Rationale's text on the question!  I
haven't looked there in a long time, and should have thought to do
so (although in this case it doesn't shed light for me).