* [Q]Ada benchmarking
@ 1998-10-01  0:00 Mark Taube
From: Mark Taube @ 1998-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 In the Oct 98 issue of Dr Dobbs, there is an article on Bench++ for
benchmarking C++. The author mentions that it is derived from the Ada PIWG
benchmark.

  Is the Ada PIWG benchmark readily available on the internet?

  Has anybody used this to compare compilers and/or platforms?

* Re: [Q]Ada benchmarking
@ 1998-10-01  0:00 ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.981001072342.13016B-100000@swlabj.msd.ray.com>,
  Mark Taube <mmt@nospam.com> wrote:

>  In the Oct 98 issue of Dr Dobbs, there is an article on Bench++ for
> benchmarking C++. The author mentions that it is derived from the Ada PIWG
> benchmark.
>
>   Is the Ada PIWG benchmark readily available on the internet?
>
>   Has anybody used this to compare compilers and/or platforms?

The answers to your questions are yes, and yes. The other source of benchmarks
is ACES, particularly the quicklook section which is relatively easy to run.

As benchmarks, these programs are somewhat useful, but like all benchmarks,
they can give highly misleading results, and you should not base much on
the results!

* Re: [Q]Ada benchmarking
@ 1998-10-01  0:00 ` John J Cupak Jr
From: John J Cupak Jr @ 1998-10-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)