From: Jonathan Guthrie <jguthrie@brokersys.com>
Subject: Re: How do I "bootstrap" myself up a GNAT compiler in FreeBSD?
Date: 1998/09/24
Date: 1998-09-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In comp.lang.ada Gerald Leung <gerald@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> For anyone here who uses FreeBSD, gnat is in the ports collection
> listed as a translator though as I understand it it actually IS a
> full compiler or most of a full one.

I always understood that "translator" is the generic term that means
"either compiler or interpreter".  That is how I use that term in
conversation.  Systems that translate programs from one language to
another are "compilers" systems that figure out what a program does
and then do it are "interpreters".

There is nothing in the term "translator" that implies anything but a
"full compiler or most of a full one".

Of course, the GNAT people now insist that GNAT doesn't stand for
anything.

I'm still waiting for a gnatp that works with gcc 2.8.1.

--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Information Broker Systems   +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/

We sell Internet access and commercial Web space.  We also are general
network consultants in the greater Houston area.