From: dewar@gnat.com
Subject: Re: Tell this C programmer about Ada and realtime...
Date: 1998/09/21
Date: 1998-09-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6u66h4$g30$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> I'm sorry to steer this thread off course so quickly, but we were just going
> over this in another thread. Wind River is the purveyor of VxWorks. There
> appear to be a few gnat VxWorks ports available (for a fee), but support is
> not there for every architecture. For gnat to be available, it has to have
> been ported to your OS/Architecture combination. Just because GCC is there
> doesn't automatically mean gnat is.

Yes, that is certainly true, people often forget that
compilers are *architecture* dependent, not just OS
dependent. Some people think for example ask us if there
is a Unix port of GNAT, which is of course not a sensible
question.

In the same sense, asking if GNAT is ported for VxWorks is
the wrong question. You do indeed have to ask for a port to
VxWorks on a specific target (just as when you order VxWorks
in the first place, you had better tell them what particular
architecture you are using).

Actually that's a little too simplistic. VxWorks is a basic
system, which differs for each architecture, and then for a
given architecture, e.g. PPC, there are multiple board
support packages. Usually the compiler does NOT need
modifying when all that changes is the BSP.

That being said, GNATWorks is available for a number of
architectures. Versions of GNAT on VxWorks exist for the
following architectures:

  i960
  PPC
  x86
  MIPS
  Alpha
  68K

I will leave it to you to decide if that is or is not
a "few" architectures. It represents the entire list of
architectures for which we have had some customer interest.
In each case here, the corresponding compiler will operate
on multiple different boards with these architectures,
using the appropriate BSP's.

If you are interested in a GNAT port for one of the above
architectures, by all means contact us at sales@gnat.com.
If you are interested in a VxWorks port for some other
architecture, you should also contact us. One of the things
we have found is that we can share almost exactly the same
VxWorks code base between architectures, so if there is an
architecture not included in this list, it may still be
quite practical to provide a GNATWorks port.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies