From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Green Hills Ada library question (Ada on VxWorks)
Date: 1998/09/19
Date: 1998-09-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6tts7j$4hk1@news.kvaerner.com>,
  "Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.no> wrote:

> Isn't there some sort of framework (RTEMS) available for GNAT/PC? I seem to
> remember that it included support for networking with some sort of 3Com net
> network card.

The answer to this is yes, you should contact OAR for details

> OS/2 has some real time facilities which may be useful. There is an OS/2
> version of GNAT available and I'm sure that Robert Dewar would be delighted
> if more customers signed up for that port.
> The main problem with OS/2 real time
> may be disk I/O. A book about OS/2 stated that the designed
> guaranteed response
> should be within 4 ms when
> the disk I/O system was working.

A couple of quick notes on OS/2 disk I/O.

First, right now, you get dramatically improved performance
from using HPFS386 if you have a decent sized memory. On
my TP770 which has 160megs, the link time for the GNAT
compiler itself went from 90 seconds to 5 seconds when
I switched to HPFS386. Unfortunately, due as I understand
it to licensing difficulties with microsoft, HPFS386 is
only available with OS/2 server. HPFS386 has much better
interruption characteristics as well.

The good news is that there is a completely new journaling
file system for OS/2 coming out soon (yes, contrary to the
as-usual-totally-uninformed conventional wisdom, OS/2 is
alive and well and still being maintained and developed :-)

Whether OS/2 or Linux would be suitable for real time use on
a bare board embedded PC is dubious. I certainly would find
it odd if either of these were really competitive with
VxWorks. But perhaps you are right, the application may
simply not require this kind of low level low overhead
real time executive. A lot of people throw the term
"real time" around pretty loosely!