From: "Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen" <tarjei.jensen@kvaerner.no>
Subject: Re: Green Hills Ada library question (Ada on VxWorks)
Date: 1998/09/18
Date: 1998-09-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com wrote in message
>What I would need is a PC-clone VxWorks port, which I note isn't in your list.
>So no, I really wasn't that wrong at all.

Isn't there some sort of framework (RTEMS) available for GNAT/PC? I seem to
remember that it included support for networking with some sort of 3Com network
card.

As someone on the lunatic fringe I would not be too put off if all that was
needed for my platform was to re-implement a driver for a network card. From
this you can safely determine that I know preciously little about RTEMS.

Linux might be an alternative to wxworks if your demands for real time are not
excessive. There is said to be a RT version of Linux, but its quality is
unknown to me.

OS/2 has some real time facilities which may be useful. There is an OS/2
version of GNAT available and I'm sure that Robert Dewar would be delighted if
more customers signed up for that port. The main problem with OS/2 real time
may be disk I/O. A book about OS/2 stated that the designed guaranteed response
should be within 4 ms when the disk I/O system was working.

It is possible to reduce the footprint on the disk of both OS/2 and Linux
significantly if one so desires. It should be possible to get a working
character based system for each onto a 3,5 inch floppy.

Greetings,