From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: GUI in Ada
Date: 1998/09/18
Date: 1998-09-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <360196CB.9EC3F20F@altoetting-online.de>,
  "Gerhard H�ring" <gerhard.haering@altoetting-online.de> wrote:
> *both* Unix and Windows. I use TASH, an Ada binding to TCL/TK, a script
> language. Both the binding and TCL/TK are free, I recommend you also use
> Visual TCL to build your GUI.
>
> Disadvantages:
> You have to learn TCL, but it is a very simple language.
> Advantages:
> Compile your Ada source for Unix, Windows or Mac, use your TCL code in
> Unix, Windows or Mac. No additional porting required!! Easy GUI
> building: not as easy as Visual Basic, but at least as easy as building
> GUI apps in (Visual) C++, for example. TCL/TK and most tools (Visual TCL
> e.g.) are freeware.

Wow. You sure didn't try real hard to find "Disadvantages". :-)

Is it still limited to compatability with only one or two compilers? I seem
to remember that being a problem. Lack of available tech support could be an
issue for some. There *are* some incompatabilities between the different
versions of TCL (I'm not so sure about TK).

That being said, I personally consider TASH one of the most promising
technologies for writing truly portable code in Ada. Its a shame it isn't
being worked on more vigorously.

--
T.E.D.