From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: GNAT Professional ?
Date: 1998/09/15
Date: 1998-09-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6tlo7s$p4r$1@infosun2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
 Peter Hermann <ica2ph@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

 Feedback is a precious good. ACT discourages this free income
> in-so-far that non-paying customers can't see the status of their
> contributions, like thrown into a black hole. So why reporting?

Well of course Peter is entitled to his opinion, and is free
to make his own decisions, but just to state ACT policy here,
we will receive bug reports from users of the public version
if they are properly formatted and complete with sources, and
they do not go into a black hole, but on the contrary do get
examined sooner or later. Of course they do have rather low
priority compared to problems and questions from our paying
customers.

Providing tracking information for such bugs is not only
time consuming, but we have in the past had many experiences
of people demanding that we hurry up and fix their bug even
though they are not supported customers, in some cases people
have got quite loud and angry. It is surprising what some
people expect for free.

Anyway, we don't have the resources to track reports from
non-supported customers, so we are not able to provide this
service. If you need this kind of tracking, you need to be
a supported customer.

But we certainly thank those users of the public version, who
unlike Peter, find it worth while to take the effort to report
problems, and in the rare cases where these are actually new
bug reports, these problems do get fixed.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies