From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
Date: 1998/09/13
Date: 1998-09-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <87ogslaxmd.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
  Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:
> dewar@gnat.com writes:
> > The pronounciation incidentally sounds the G, but quickly
> > in passing, in the same way that most people pronounce
> > Gnostic. It is not "NAT" and it is not "GEE-NAT".
>
> The "g" is not pronounced in "gnostic".
> But then again, I'm not "most
> people" and, apparently, neither was Noah Webster.

Well of course Noah Webster has provided little more than the
name on the cover for most modern dictionaries with his name
(unless you really do have a copy of the original :-). I guess
pronounciation varies on gnostic. Perhaps I should have
said that the G is sounded as in GNU. I have not heard people
referring to the "Noo" system, and I am sure that Mr. Webster
did not have an opinion on how to pronounce the name of this
project (although he may have had an opinion on how to
pronounce the name of the animal -- certainly Flanders and
Swan are sure that the G is not silent in GNU :-)

P.S. my wife, a former history major who studied the relevant
period, said she has never heard gnostic pronounced with a
silent G, perhaps they do things differently at the
University of Chicago :-)