* Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-04  0:00 Terry Devine
From: Terry Devine @ 1998-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone aware of an Ada 95 compiler (preferably with a full set of
tools) for SCO?

Terry Devine

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-04  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr
From: David C. Hoos, Sr @ 1998-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Terry Devine wrote in message <35F07349.EE7@mitre.org>...
>Is anyone aware of an Ada 95 compiler (preferably with a full set of
>tools) for SCO?

Let me tell you my solution to the problem of the lack of SCO support from
the Ada community.  There is a surprisingly high proportion of POS machines
that run SCO, but I guess not too may people are doing that sort of work in
Ada.

I found that I could execute executables built on Linux (Red Hat 5.0) on SCO
5.0.2 with the aid of a Linux emulator which maps Linux system calls to SCO
system calls.

I don't have the information in presentable form at the moment, but if there
is interest, I can gather the stuff up in the next couple of days and put it
on my FTP site.

David C. Hoos, Sr.

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-06  0:00   ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-09-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1fVLj9G29GA.166@samson.airnet.net>,
  "David C. Hoos, Sr" <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

> Terry Devine wrote in message <35F07349.EE7@mitre.org>...
> >Is anyone aware of an Ada 95 compiler (preferably with a full set of
> >tools) for SCO?
> >
> Let me tell you my solution to the problem of the lack of SCO support from
> the Ada community.  There is a surprisingly high proportion of POS machines
> that run SCO, but I guess not too may people are doing that sort of work in
> Ada.
>
> I found that I could execute executables built on Linux (Red Hat 5.0) on SCO
> 5.0.2 with the aid of a Linux emulator which maps Linux system calls to SCO
> system calls.
>
> I don't have the information in presentable form at the moment, but if there
> is interest, I can gather the stuff up in the next couple of days and put it
> on my FTP site.
>
> David C. Hoos, Sr.

It certainly would not be very difficult to target GNAT to
SCO, and indeed we did create a SCO port to a very early
version of GNAT. However, we have had no significant customer
interest in such a port so far.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-11  0:00     ` Chris Warwick
From: Chris Warwick @ 1998-09-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6sutco$jiu$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>It certainly would not be very difficult to target GNAT to
>SCO, and indeed we did create a SCO port to a very early
>version of GNAT. However, we have had no significant customer
>interest in such a port so far.

I am aware of one of our subcontractor's using the free version of GNAT on SCO
in order to unload some of the development work off the VADS compiler... So,
I find Mr. Dewar's comment rather odd... We did at one point ask for the cost
of supporting the GNAT on SCO and the price was somewhat more than we are
paying for VADS...

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-12  0:00       ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6tcnk7$5ce@priv-sys04-le0.telusplanet.net>,
  warwicks@telusplanet.net (Chris Warwick) wrote:
> In article <6sutco$jiu$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> >It certainly would not be very difficult to target GNAT to
> >SCO, and indeed we did create a SCO port to a very early
> >version of GNAT. However, we have had no significant customer
> >interest in such a port so far.
>
> I am aware of one of our subcontractor's using the free version of GNAT on
SCO
> in order to unload some of the development work off the VADS compiler... So,
> I find Mr. Dewar's comment rather odd... We did at one point ask for the cost
> of supporting the GNAT on SCO and the price was somewhat more than we are
> paying for VADS...

I don't see what you find odd. As I said a very old obsolete
version of the port does exist. If you are willing to use
unsupported software of unknown provenance that is very out
of date and has many serious known errors, then you may
indeed be able to use that old SCO port. For most purposes,
even student use at this stage, this port will be found to
be too out of date to be effectively usable, even if you
are willing to use unsupported freeware (I use this term,
as distinct from free software, to refer to software that
does indeed cost $0, but you get what you pay for :-)

As I said before, a SCO port has been discussed on and off.
In the past, we have had only isolated customers interested,
and no interest from SCO itself, which of course results in
prohibitively high prices, since no one customer can
reasonably afford the full cost of a port (the fact that
the full cost was only "somewhat" more than the cost of
some other compiler is actually pretty interesting, it
shows a strength of the gcc/gnat technology in its
relatively low porting costs).

The good news is that there are renewed signs of interest
in the SCO port, both on the part of SCO and several users.
So it is looking more likely that an up to date, fully
supported SCO port may become available on the same basis
as other GNAT ports. If you are interested in this
possibility, by all means contact sales@gnat.com for
details and to let us know of your interest

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-12  0:00       ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: dewar @ 1998-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6tcnk7$5ce@priv-sys04-le0.telusplanet.net>,
  warwicks@telusplanet.net (Chris Warwick) wrote:

> of supporting the GNAT on SCO

The name of the system is "GNAT" not *the* GNAT. There seems
to be no uniform rule in English about whether the is needed,

  DARPA
  the DOD
  UNO
  the UN

and many other examples of arbitrary rules as to whether the
is allowed can be found. Since the rules are arbitrary, we
get to decide, and there is no *the*!

The pronounciation incidentally sounds the G, but quickly
in passing, in the same way that most people pronounce
Gnostic. It is not "NAT" and it is not "GEE-NAT".

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-12  0:00         ` Ronald Cole
From: Ronald Cole @ 1998-09-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com writes:
> The pronounciation incidentally sounds the G, but quickly
> in passing, in the same way that most people pronounce
> Gnostic. It is not "NAT" and it is not "GEE-NAT".

The "g" is not pronounced in "gnostic".  But then again, I'm not "most
people" and, apparently, neither was Noah Webster.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142

* Re: Ada 95 for SCO?
@ 1998-09-13  0:00           ` dewarr
From: dewarr @ 1998-09-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87ogslaxmd.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
  Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:
> dewar@gnat.com writes:
> > The pronounciation incidentally sounds the G, but quickly
> > in passing, in the same way that most people pronounce
> > Gnostic. It is not "NAT" and it is not "GEE-NAT".
>
> The "g" is not pronounced in "gnostic".
> But then again, I'm not "most
> people" and, apparently, neither was Noah Webster.

Well of course Noah Webster has provided little more than the
name on the cover for most modern dictionaries with his name
(unless you really do have a copy of the original :-). I guess
pronounciation varies on gnostic. Perhaps I should have
said that the G is sounded as in GNU. I have not heard people
referring to the "Noo" system, and I am sure that Mr. Webster
did not have an opinion on how to pronounce the name of this
project (although he may have had an opinion on how to
pronounce the name of the animal -- certainly Flanders and
Swan are sure that the G is not silent in GNU :-)

P.S. my wife, a former history major who studied the relevant
period, said she has never heard gnostic pronounced with a
silent G, perhaps they do things differently at the
University of Chicago :-)