From: "Werner Pachler" <werner.pachler@austria.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs Ada code navigation tools
Date: 1998/09/11
Date: 1998-09-11T14:21:53+00:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com schrieb in Nachricht
<6t94gi$gr0$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>I think it was something like "DEC SCA" (source code analizer?).

Now i know what you meant:
Digital sold a toolset called "VAXSet" including
LSE  = Language Sensitive Editor
DTM = Dec Test Manager
SCA = Source Code Analyzer
MMS = Module Management System
PCA = Performance and Coverage Analyzer
CMS = Code Management System

>Well, at the time I was working on the fastest VMS systems available. We
had
>some highly unrealistic speed requirements, and money was no object. We had
>network of about 8 Vax Clusters each with two Vaxen and a shadow disk (to
>make up the quoroum if one Vax died). Each Vax had two processors. The
>developers each had their own DECstation, which was served off one of two
of
>the clusters. Because nature of the work I was doing, I usually had an
entire
>cluster to myself.
>
>SCA was just  s l o w.
>
>That was 9 years ago, so I'm sure things improved. But at the time this was
>just about the fastest (DEC) setup around.

I did use a VAXStation 3100 M76 (speed approximatly something like an
Pentium 70) a few
years ago in a cluster environment and reached times up to 30 seconds for
compiling
1000 lines of Ada Code.
You're right, SCA was horrible slow, but as i can remember SCA checked
things like
"Does actual number and types of parameters match with defined subprogs,..."
and we all know that
you do not need this tool for developing in Ada.

>developers each had their own DECstation, which was served off one of two
of
PS: As i can remember, the computer DIGITAL sold 9 years ago distinguished
between
VAXStaion ... a Workstation with a VAX processor and
DECStation ... a Workstation with a MIPS processor and DEC Ultrix.