From: "Werner Pachler" <werner.pachler@austria.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Emacs Ada code navigation tools
Date: 1998/09/10
Date: 1998-09-10T15:05:22+00:00	[thread overview]

T.E.D.,
i have been using DEC/VAX with VMS, DEC Ada, LSE and VAX/VMS debugger
a couple of years and i did also use Ada Compilers, Editors Debuggers on
many
other platforms
(MS-DOS, Windows-95, Windows-NT, DEC Ultrix and SGI-IRIX).

Especially after using the other Compilers, debuggers, etc. i thanked god
that he gave
the developers of DEC the power to develop these tools (including VMS).

The big trouble came to me when i tried to port my code (Ada Code!!!!!) to
the plattforms described above.
(Compiler bugs, editors like MS-DOS edit, debuggers like dbx, ...).

>As I remember it, that required using a third tool (in addition to LSE and
>DecAda). As it has been about 8 years, I don't remember its three-letter
>acronym anymore.

I can't image what three-letter tool you mean.

>What I do remember is that it was so slow it was next to useless. It would
>take several minutes to find a declaration. In that amount of time you
could
>easily find it yourself with "search". Plus it took its information from
the
>symbol table, so if you significantly changed your source since the last
>compile it wouldn't work right anymore. I was the only developer out of 50+
>developers on the project who used it more than a day, and I gave up on it
>after a week. Even DTM was more useful!
>
>Not that I wouldn't like to see a *good* implementation of that
>functionality...

The proplem you had was that your development environment had to less power
to be usefull.
Buy a faster VAX or Alpha...

PS: A friend of mine, after changing from VAX/VMS to a unix plattform said:
"Every alpha release of DIGITAL software is better than the official release
of
software on my plattform!".

W.Pachler@mobilkom.at