From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Emacs Ada code navigation tools
Date: 1998/09/10
Date: 1998-09-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35F6F05E.9A8F2DD0@elca-matrix.ch>,
  Mats.Weber@elca-matrix.ch wrote:
> In the good old days, I was using DEC Ada with the LSE editor and the compiler
> generated analysis output that told the editor where the declaration of each
> occurrence of an identifier was. I just had to press ctrl-D on any identifier,
> and it automatically took me to the declaration. There were many other useful
> functions such as list all uses of a given declaration, etc.

As I remember it, that required using a third tool (in addition to LSE and
DecAda). As it has been about 8 years, I don't remember its three-letter
acronym anymore.

What I do remember is that it was so slow it was next to useless. It would
take several minutes to find a declaration. In that amount of time you could
easily find it yourself with "search". Plus it took its information from the
symbol table, so if you significantly changed your source since the last
compile it wouldn't work right anymore. I was the only developer out of 50+
developers on the project who used it more than a day, and I gave up on it
after a week. Even DTM was more useful!

Not that I wouldn't like to see a *good* implementation of that
functionality...

--
T.E.D.