From: jsanchor@cs5.dasd.honeywell.com
Subject: Assignment of Classwide Types
Date: 1998/09/03
Date: 1998-09-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello Everyone: I have a tagged type declared as

type PARENT_TYPE is abstract tagged private;

private
    type PARENT_TYPE is abstract tagged with
    record
       checksum : INTEGER;
    end record;

    type ACCESS_TO_PARENT_TYPE is access all PARENT_TYPE'class;

  PTR1 : ACCESS_TO_PARENT_TYPE;
  PTR2 : ACCESS_TO_PARENT_TYPE;

 I have PTR1 & PTR2 having access to diff. memory locations where I have
PARENT_TYPE (same tag but diff. data).
   then I say, PTR1.all := PTR2.all;

the compiler does not give any errors, but the assignment does not work.
I looked at the assembly code and it seems that the compiler makes a call to
deep_finalize, deep_adjust but to no effect.

Can someone explain how to get around this problem?
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Jay S.