From: "alan walkington" <walky@netmagic.net>
Subject: Re: How to implement a continue statement in Ada?
Date: 1998/09/02
Date: 1998-09-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<35EA8153.7BFC91E3@physics.purdue.edu>...
>> >I was wondering if there is a general way of implementing
>> >the behavior of C's continue statement in Ada.
>>
>> As you have seen from the responses, the answer is NO.
>
>Clearly I have missed some responses.

IMHO the original poster was looking for an atomic ada construct similar to
the 'continue' statement in C.  We, including myself, responded with
'work-arounds' that achieved the same thing.

>What exactly is wrong with
> - Robert Dewar's suggestion of using 'goto', or

Some of us who write Ada for the US government are stuck with coding
standards which prohibit the use of 'goto' under any circumstance.  Not good
CS, but we have to learn to live with it.

> - my suggestion of using a nested named block and named exits?

I don't know how to use the 'exit' statement to get out of a block.
Elucidate, dear doctor?

>Both suggestions "implement the behaviour", which is skipping the
>rest of the body of the loop.

Yes, that's also what my psuedo code does.

>Is it the fact that you have to invent names,
>which you do not in C?
>Is it the fact that these translations are _too_ powerful,
>handling multi-level exit, which the C version does not?

Please lets not get into a 'which language is better' mode.  I've been using
Ada for almost 15 years now, and C for longer.  Both Ada and C/C++ have
there uses.

Alan Walkington
Sr. Software Engineer
UDLP, San Jose
(remove the obvious from the e-mail address)
walkyANTISPAM@netmagic.net