* Help building tash - with gnat
@ 1998-08-27  0:00 rajagopalasrinivasan
From: rajagopalasrinivasan @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am attempting to build tash on my Win NT 4.0 system. Tcl got installed fine.
I downloaded tash and am attempting to follow the instructions.

a) Invoked setup.tcl and "saved" the configurations. (Did not make any
changes) b) Went to the win95 directory and tried to "make" But gnatmake
complains that tash.ali was not found after compilation. (Also twash.ali)

Any clues will be appreciated.

thanks

srini
r.srinivasan@eudoramail.com

* Re: Help building tash - with gnat
@ 1998-08-27  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

rajagopalasrinivasan@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<6s4654$q7k$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I am attempting to build tash on my Win NT 4.0 system. Tcl got installed
fine.
>I downloaded tash and am attempting to follow the instructions.
>
>a) Invoked setup.tcl and "saved" the configurations. (Did not make any
>changes) b) Went to the win95 directory and tried to "make" But gnatmake
>complains that tash.ali was not found after compilation. (Also twash.ali)
>
>Any clues will be appreciated.

The problem is that the makefile has the compiler looking for things in the
directory "windows."

I solved the problem by renaming the "Win95" directory "windows".

I reported the problem ten days, or so, ago, but have not received any reply
from Terry.  Lots of people are on vacation this time of year, so that's not
surprising.

David C. Hoos, Sr.

From: rajagopalasrinivasan @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Works like a charm. Much obliged. Thanks

srini

@ 1998-08-27  0:00   ` Terry J. Westley
From: Terry J. Westley @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. responded in message <6s47ej$h6k@hacgate2.hac.com>...

>The problem is that the makefile has the compiler looking for things in the
>directory "windows."
>
>I solved the problem by renaming the "Win95" directory "windows".
>
>I reported the problem ten days, or so, ago, but have not received any
reply
>from Terry.  Lots of people are on vacation this time of year, so that's
not
>surprising.
>
>David C. Hoos, Sr.

Thanks for helping out, David.  Indeed, I was enjoying a week in the
beautiful Pacific Northwest, sailing on Puget Sound and hiking the
Cascades.  It was great except the traffic.  Thankfully, my family
was along so we used the HOV lanes.  Wonderful.  One evening,
we were eating in a restaurant and who should arrive a few minutes
later for dinner but Mr. and Mrs. Bill Gates!

The problem encountered by both David and Srini occurs because
I didn't know what Tcl stores in the variable $tcl_platform(os) for
Windows NT.  If one of you would please execute the command
"parray tcl_platform" at a wish prompt and please send it to me,
that would be a great help.

Terry J. Westley, Principal Engineer
Calspan, An operation of Veridian
twestley@buffalo.veridian.com   http://www.calspan.com/
Author of TASH, an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk.
Visit the TASH web site at http://tash.calspan.com.

* Re: Help building tash - with gnat
@ 1998-08-27  0:00 ` Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1998-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6s4654$q7k$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
 <rajagopalasrinivasan@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>I am attempting to build tash on my Win NT 4.0 system. Tcl got installed fine.
>I downloaded tash and am attempting to follow the instructions.
>
>a) Invoked setup.tcl and "saved" the configurations. (Did not make any
>changes) b) Went to the win95 directory and tried to "make" But gnatmake
>complains that tash.ali was not found after compilation. (Also twash.ali)

I found I had to copy c:\Program Files\tcl\bin\Makefile.Macros to
c:\tash802 (or wherever you installed).

I don't use make anymore with Ada, so here's what I normally do:

cd c:\tash802\src
gnatmake tcl-tk-ada
(above builds all the .o and .ali files)

I am not interested in running twash, since I have Tcl/Tk 8.0 installed from
Scriptics, so I am done.

To compile another application, I then do
gnatmake myapplication -Ic:\tash802\src -Lc:\tash802\win95 -largs -ltcl80 -ltk80 c:\tash802\win95\tclmacro.o c:\tash802\win95\tkmacro.o

--Martin
--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html