From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Conditional Code in Ada 95?
Date: 1998/08/27
Date: 1998-08-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6s1esj$3or@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>,
  Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <6s13q3$5v9$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> 	dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> >Can't you get the same effect by using a build tool like gnumake? Gnumake
> is
> >about as standard as they come. I'm pretty sure gnu has a pre-processor
> that
> >should be available on every platorm gnumake is as well.

>  This presumes the availability, 1) of gnu, 2) Ada 95.  The organization
>  mentioned in my post continues to use only Ada 83, as do many shops who

No. It has absolutely nothing to do with what version of Ada (or what vendor)
you happen to have.

>  continue to use Ada.  Also, gnumake is not universally available even
>  if an organization decides to use Ada 95.  In the case of the
>  development group I referenced, they are non-military, use Ada by

That is an issue. But to my knowledge there aren't a lot of development
platforms on which gnumake is unavailable. Personally, I don't know of one
development platform in that category that has an Ada compiler. On
Macintoshes I think you have to purchase a third party unix subsystem, so its
a bit iffy there. Are you at liberty to divulge that?

--
T.E.D.