From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: strings to floats/integers
Date: 1998/08/26
Date: 1998-08-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard D Riehle wrote in message <6s1e9k$bgq@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>...
>In article <35e41033.9324314@200.223.0.87>,
<snip>

>The conversion between strings and float and strings and integers can
>easily be accomplished using Ada.Text_IO.   Note that for
>
>         Ada.Text_IO.Integer_IO
>   and   Ada.Text_IO.Float_IO
>
>there are Get and Put operations defined for conversion between strings
>and the desired numeric type.  Not only is this easy, it is also more
>portable than some alternatives.   For some odd reason, this feature of
>Ada.Text_IO is frequently undiscovered, even by programmers who have
>been using Ada for many years.

True enough, Richard, but I would only use an instance of a numeric io
generic for the case where I wanted to control the output format.  If I will
accept exponential notation for floating output, I would use the 'image
attribute.  For all conversion from strings, I would use the 'value
attribute.

Am I missing something here?

David C. Hoos, Sr.