From: Richard D Riehle <laoXhai@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Conditional Code in Ada 95?
Date: 1998/08/26
Date: 1998-08-26T09:58:59-07:00	[thread overview]

In article <6s13q3$5v9$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
	dennison@telepath.com wrote:

>Can't you get the same effect by using a build tool like gnumake? Gnumake
is
>about as standard as they come. I'm pretty sure gnu has a pre-processor
that
>should be available on every platorm gnumake is as well.
>
>Personally, I would greatly support the decision not to add a pre-compiler.
>Anyone who has ever tried to track down a problem in the source code of
>gnu-emacs knows what a nightmare such code can turn into. It is anathema to
>the primary Ada goal of easy to understand code.

 This presumes the availability, 1) of gnu, 2) Ada 95.  The organization
 mentioned in my post continues to use only Ada 83, as do many shops who
 continue to use Ada.  Also, gnumake is not universally available even
 if an organization decides to use Ada 95.  In the case of the
 development group I referenced, they are non-military, use Ada by
 choice, and have little incentive to move to Ada 95 since Ada 83 has
 been successful in their products for a long time.  And, No, I cannot
 tell you the name of the company because of my fiduciary responsiblity
 to them.

 Richard Riehle
 richard@adaworks.com
 http://www.adaworks.com