From: dewarr@my-dejanews.com
Subject: Re: Conditional Code in Ada 95?
Date: 1998/08/25
Date: 1998-08-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6rrtuf$cqg@top.mitre.org>,
  mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner) wrote:
> >> I just saw some Ada95 code riddled with conditional
> >> compilation statements. I wasn't aware that this
> >> was part of Ada95 and I can't find it in the ARM.
>
> > Fortunately... The clean (and compatible) way remains
> > hardware-specific units when needed and, within an unit,
> > constants like ...
>
> Yes, constants are good for executable statements. However, there is
> no way WITHIN the Ada language to select which of the hardware
> specific bodies to use with a multi-platform package.
>
> This is to be considered a requirement for Ada 200X.

I can't see what has changed that should suggest reconsidering
this decision. Steelman specified no conditional compilation in
Ada, Ada 83 carefully considered that specification and agreed
with it, and Ada 95 also agreed. I see no reason to revisit this
unless there is new information, there has always been general
agreement that conditional compilation does not belong in the
language proper. Michael, what new information is available
that would suggest revisiting it (the fact that Michael Brenner
wants it does not count as new information :-)