* Free multiplatform Ada GUI Design Tool
@ 1998-08-19  0:00 Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1998-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just created a web site for RAPID, the RAPID Ada Portable
Interface Designer.  Following is a brief description:

RAPID is the Rapid Ada Portable Interface Design tool.  Using RAPID,
programmers can easily create a graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for
their applications by simply drawing them. RAPID then generates Ada
code using the TASH binding to Tcl/Tk.  Since Tcl/Tk is supported on
many different platforms (including Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX), the
generated GUI will also run on all of these platforms.

For more info (and to download), see
ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html

Contributions would be most welcome!

--Martin

Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html
DISCLAIMER:  This content in no way reflects the opinions, standard or
policy of the US Air Force Academy or the United States Government.
--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html
DISCLAIMER:  This content in no way reflects the opinions, standard or
policy of the US Air Force Academy or the United States Government.

* Re: Free multiplatform Ada GUI Design Tool
@ 1998-08-20  0:00   ` Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1998-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2ww8323a2.fsf@marius.teaser.fr>,
Frederic Abiven  <fabiven@teaser.fr> wrote:
>Hello,
>mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) writes:
>> RAPID is the Rapid Ada Portable Interface Design tool...
>> For more info (and to download), see
>> ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html
>Thanks for this nice tool !...
>
>But common_dialogs.ads is missing (easy to reconstitute with the body)
>and Gnat-3.10p (Linux) crashes on gui-widget.ads with

Thanks for submitting a workaround for the 3.10p bug.  I am using a beta
of 3.11 on Win95 that doesn't have this bug; however, since most people
still have 3.10, I incorporated your workaround into the sources.

As to common_dialogs.ads, it was present as Common_Dialogs.ads (Windows
doesn't care about case of filenames).  I believe I have corrected this
in the zip file.

--Martin

From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1998-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6rh8sp$8bg$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>In article <6rf9ii$1iv$1@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
>  mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) wrote:
>
>> code using the TASH binding to Tcl/Tk.  Since Tcl/Tk is supported on
>> many different platforms (including Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX), the
>> generated GUI will also run on all of these platforms.
>
>Is TASH now working on Windows? Last I heard it wasn't, but that was years
>ago.

Terry Westley has had TASH working on Windows since at least Tri-Ada '97.
For more information, you can see http://tash.calspan.com
I am using TASH as a binding to Tcl/Tk 8.0 (on Win 95) on this and other
projects with great success.

--Martin

--

@ 1998-08-20  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-08-20  0:00 ` Frederic Abiven
From: Frederic Abiven @ 1998-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) writes:

> RAPID is the Rapid Ada Portable Interface Design tool...

> For more info (and to download), see
> ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html

Thanks for this nice tool !...

But common_dialogs.ads is missing (easy to reconstitute with the body)
and Gnat-3.10p (Linux) crashes on gui-widget.ads with
the following message :

+===========================GNAT BUG DETECTED==============================+
| Error detected at lists_generic-key.adb:19:1 [gui-widget.ads:107:4]      |
| Please submit bug report by email to report@gnat.com                     |
| Use a subject line meaningful to you and us to track the bug             |
| Include full sources in ASCII in a format compatible with gnatchop       |
| First line of sources must be marked by an Ada -- comment line           |
| Last line of sources must be last line of email message (no signature!)  |
| See gnatinfo.txt file for more info on procedure for submitting bugs     |
| 3.10p (970814) (i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1) Assert_Failure at sem_ch8.adb:3694|
+==========================================================================+
compilation abandoned

I can submit a workaround for this (meanwhile next gnat-3.11 release) :

            -- Frederic Abiven

*** gui-widget.ads.orig	Wed Aug 19 09:40:02 1998
--- gui-widget.ads	Thu Aug 20 15:00:46 1998
***************
*** 18,24 ****
  with ada.text_io;
  with Tcl;
! with Lists_Generic,Lists_Generic.Key;

  package Gui.Widget is
--- 18,27 ----
+
  with ada.text_io;
  with Tcl;
! -- with Lists_Generic,Lists_Generic.Key;
!
! with Lists_Generic_Key;

  package Gui.Widget is
***************
*** 99,107 ****
     function Get_Name(Widget : in Widget_Access) return String;

!    package Widget_List_Package is new Lists_Generic(Widget_Access);
!    package Widget_Key_List_Package is new Widget_List_Package.Key(
!       GetKey => Get_Name);

     subtype Widget_Pointer is Widget_List_Package.Position;
     subtype Widget_List is Widget_List_Package.List;

--- 102,125 ----
     function Get_Name(Widget : in Widget_Access) return String;

! --> GNAT 3-10p don't correctly manage nested scope with generic child
! --> The probleme is "Gui.Widget" and not "Lists_Generic.Key"
! -->                     ^--- nested
!
! --    package Widget_List_Package is new
! --      Lists_Generic(Widget_Access);
!
! --    package Widget_Key_List_Package is new
! --      Widget_List_Package.Key(GetKey => Get_Name);
!
!    package WK is new Lists_Generic_Key(Widget_Access,Get_Name);
!
!    package Widget_List_Package renames
!      WK.List_Package;
!
!    package Widget_Key_List_Package renames
!      WK.List_Package_Key;

     subtype Widget_Pointer is Widget_List_Package.Position;
+
     subtype Widget_List is Widget_List_Package.List;

*** lists_generic_key.ads.orig	Thu Aug 20 14:35:59 1998
--- lists_generic_key.ads	Thu Aug 20 15:01:55 1998
***************
*** 0 ****
--- 1,19 ----
+
+ with Lists_Generic;
+ with Lists_Generic.Key;
+
+ generic
+
+    type Element is private;
+
+    with  function GetKey(Item : in Element) return String;
+
+ package Lists_Generic_Key is
+
+    package List_Package is new
+      Lists_Generic(Element);
+
+    package List_Package_Key is new
+      List_Package.Key(GetKey);
+
+ end Lists_Generic_Key;
*** rapid.adb.orig	Wed Aug 19 11:03:26 1998
--- rapid.adb	Thu Aug 20 14:50:30 1998

  procedure Rapid is
!    pragma Linker_Options("-ltcl80");
!    pragma Linker_Options("-ltk80");
     -- Tcl/Tk libraries (for all platforms)
!    pragma Linker_Options("-mwindows");
     -- comment if on another platform
     -- uncomment to go production on Windows machines