* Re: Ada and databes
@ 1998-08-17  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1998-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Can we interface Access Databases with Ada.
My son downloaded Pascal Obry's SQL stuff and (with some
modifications, I think) was able to use it to write an MS Access
database using the Janus compiler.  I'd assume it would work with
ObjectAda (possibly with some minor changes).

* Ada and databes
@ 1998-08-17  0:00 Garnier Jean-Paul
From: Garnier Jean-Paul @ 1998-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I want to construct a database with Aonix Object Ada.

Can we interface Access Databases with Ada.
If not, do you have any source examples, or documentation in order to design
and manipulate a Database ?

Thank you by advance for your answers.

* Re: Ada and databes
@ 1998-08-17  0:00 ` asilvant
From: asilvant @ 1998-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garnier Jean-Paul

Hi,

I've experienced use of ADA and Oracle database development using a database
access "pre-compiler" provided by oracle named "Pro_ADA". It's easy and works
fine.

Best regards,

    Patrice Silvant

@ 1998-08-18  0:00   ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm not mistaken, Oracle discontinued Pro*Ada some
time ago (and, again I might be wrong here, but isn't
it specific to Oracle databases?)

Aonix offers an SQL pre-compiler in the Enterprise
edition of ObjectAda, which compiles embedded SQL
statements into calls to a thick ODBC binding.
Sample programs are included.

Another option is the ODBC bindings included in
one of the Win32 binding packages, including WinAPI
(part of ObjectAda OpenPack bundle), or Win32Ada
(publicly available and included with all OA
versions.)  These bindings are on the thin side,
and in the case of Win32Ada, not maintained by
Aonix.  However they might be perfectly appropriate
for your purposes.

I guess the common theme in this range of options
is ODBC.  An ODBC driver for Access is available
from Microsoft (probably included with Access,
if not Windows itself, but I'm not entirely sure).

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows