From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Does ObjectAda optimize at all??
Date: 1998/08/14
Date: 1998-08-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35d4797b.244364@SantaClara01.news.InterNex.Net>,
  tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) wrote:
> There is (was?) a suite of Ada benchmarking programs for comparing
> compilers.  Have you tried that?  I presume what you really care about

I'm intrigued. Where?

> is the size/speed of the generated code, not which optimizations it
> does/does not use.

Speed, yes. However, the actual optimizations performed *are* a concern. Many
developers have an unfortunate tendency to make complete trash out of their
source in an attempt to "optimize" it. (Manual loop unrolling, huge procedures
with repeated code, reused variables, global variables, etc.) If I know what
our compiler can optimize, I can stop these folks from making an unreadable
mess of thier source code for the sake of speed.

However, if ObjectAda doesn't do variable optimization, loop unrolling,
subprogram inlining, etc., then these folks are right to do this, even though
they drasticly worsen the maintainability of the code. That is why I think it
is a disservice to your customers to not provide optimizations, even if they
never specificly ask for them.

T.E.D.